Question

I have 3 proposals from HVAC companies for adding 3 zones to my existing 2 story house. 2 are recommending zone a temp and the other ewc equipment and all 3 are suggesting Arzel as an option. Can anyone tell me the difference between the ewc and zone a temp products? Thanks

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    From what i know,take a closer look at the Arzel.

The main difference between EWC, and trol a temp is the damper motors.

They both can heat one zone, and then when its satified switch to cooling if a different zone calls for cooling.

Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Look at how they handle temperature control and if a 2 stage setup, how they handle staging.

I'm familiar with the Honeywell TZ4 and Zonex 4+2. The TZ4 can stage based on % of zones calling which keeps the furnace off high if there is little load. The 4+2 times to high but will throttle to low if supply temp gets too high. Most panels will constantly cycle on & off with 1 zone calling, something that isn't good for the furnace nor efficient.

we are planning to use the zoning with a trane xv90 variable
    stage furnace. so please explain to me what i should be aware of given the different zoning technologies. In other words how should zoning work with the variable speed furnace
    and which zoning systems can best provide the solution.

Take a look at Carrier's Variable Speed ,Infinity zoning system.The zone control,directly controls the the fan(like no other) ,no bypass damper needed.If it's two stage gas and/or compressor it controls the statges as needed.

The best residential zoning system I've ever seen.

If you are gonna use the XV90, I'd use the Honeywell TZ4 and make sure the installer sets it up for % of zones calling. Then it will take all 3 zones calling for heat to fire on high. When 2 zones drop out and 1 remains, it will return to low. It will shut off when the last zone satisfies. There's also a digital sensor in the supply to keep the furnace limit from opening or the A coil from freezing. Not the capability of the Infinity but if you are using a Choo Choo, I'd go that route.

Originally posted by dash
    Take a look at Carrier's Variable Speed ,Infinity zoning system.The zone control,directly controls the the fan(like no other) ,no bypass damper needed.If it's two stage gas and/or compressor it controls the statges as needed.

The best residential zoning system I've ever seen.
    DASH have you installed Infinity zoning in your home yet? Our guys are just raving about how great it is!

I want to upgrade my CZ II to Infinity, but would have to change out my MVP, tough to convince the wife since the CZ II and MVP combo works great! LOL
    Live each day like it is your last, for one day you will be right!

hvac r us 2,

Changed one system in our home ,from CZ2,to Infinity last July,the performance is great,and the kw usage went down 8 to 12%.I think it dropped due to ,no bypass ,better management of the dampers/zones ,and the fact that it stays in low speed most of the time.

Just look in the returned warranty parts bin,and get what you need to "upgrade" your MVP!LOL

can this carrier zoning system be used with trane furnace xv90/xr12 (or xli16) ac and be "easily" retro-fitted into existing duct work?

IS it a better solution than Arzel. My reservation with Arzel is that all 3 have proposed it, but neither has ever installed one and I don't want to be the 1st project.

Originally posted by dash
    hvac r us 2,

Just look in the returned warranty parts bin,and get what you need to "upgrade" your MVP!LOL
    ROFL!!! Thats how I got my CZ II! LOL

MVP and TXA was scratch and dent! Think I will take a walk out into the warehouse now....might have to kick an MVP! LOL
    Live each day like it is your last, for one day you will be right!

Originally posted by gregam
    can this carrier zoning system be used with trane furnace xv90/xr12 (or xli16) ac and be "easily" retro-fitted into existing duct work?

IS it a better solution than Arzel. My reservation with Arzel is that all 3 have proposed it, but neither has ever installed one and I don't want to be the 1st project.

Arzel is known for excellent support of their dealers,so I wouldn't worry about being the first.It's not all that different ,from others.

I sell the Carrier Infinity,requires The new GE version 2.5 VS motor,and likely the factory programing of the motor,So it only works with Carrier,and then only certain models.

Infinity works as well as you can,with existing ducts.

Question

thanks dash ... that's reassuring abour arzel .. although
    i have also read on this forum that arzel can be noisy if not installed correctly.

i also posted another related question ... can the trane xv90 be used effectively with zoning ... one trane dealer
    told me no ... he said if all zones or a small zone calls then the it won't really operate "right". so it gets installed it's "wired" as a singoe speed? not sure i have it right ... but
    is there some mystery here that i need to be aware of?