Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I would appreciate some input on the best choice (most useful) type of Halon gas leak detector. Pump style, bernomatic flame, heated pentode type, or ultrasonic detector? Also, any experience on which brand would you recommend? Thanks for the input folks>

Question Leak Detector

You can not go wrong with a H10. I keep a H-10 on my truck and TIF HALOGEN HAWK that I am more then happy with and old and trusted Big Blu.
    Tin Knockers BANG for a living

Thanks for the input.

D-TEK leakdetector run about $350

By far, the best leak detector is....

One that finds leaks

thats funny doc and completely true. I have a favorite the TIF ZX1 heated pentode refrigerant leak detector I kicked myself the other day when I saw that they were on sale for 229 bones I paid a bit more a few years back.

I use the DTEK and Amprobe ultrasonic both with very good results. I am currently considering the DTEK Select as seen here.http://www.inficonrefrigerantleakdet...kdetector.html
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

DTEK AND BUBBLES

Only one to use if you want the best
    http://www.toolsource.com/ost/produc...R3704QUMAHDJQB
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

Arrow depends

depends on how good do you want to be at leak detection. HVAC PRO nailed it right on the head. i too, have the same exact set-up as hvac pro. dtek sniffer meter and an amprobe ultra-sonic meter. here's another story about my ultra-sonic. i love this thing and for good reasons!

received a call to find a leak in a traulsen refrigerator, upright. 2 companies have failed to find the leak. customer not happy w/ service done. called manufacturer and they gave them our number, as we were the closest. long story shortened, found the leak. solder joint had pin hole leak at txv valve, evap side. dtek would only pick it up if you held it in the leaking spot for about 3 seconds, then it went off. found the leak with my ultra-sonic. would have started with my ultra-sonic, but after 6 years, i finally had to replace the 9v battery. when i couldn't find it with the dtek, i took the battery out of my fluke 16 to use. found the leak in less than 2 minutes! no b.s. - ultra pick it up right away! my dtek is good, but i think my ultra is better. best of all, no false readings! once you hear the leak, you will know that sound like your mother calling for ya when you were young! amprobe ultra-sonic is just over 200 bucks. i tell no lie, knowing what it is capable of, i would have no problem spending 600-800 bucks for it! this tool has definately made me money! i have 2 other a/c companies that call me when their techs fail to find a leak. haven't been stumped yet!

i could keep going, but why. good luck!

[Edited by badbillr on 05-27-2005 at 07:33 AM]

Plus with the ultrasonic, you can find that leak around your windshield.

Stay away from the halide torch detectors. They rely on chlorine in the refrigerant to change the color of the flame. They worked great on the older CFC or HCFC refrigerants but they are worthless on the newer HFC gases.

Originally posted by badbillr
    once you hear the leak, you will know that sound like your mother calling for ya when you were young! [/QUOTE]

LOL! Now that's funny
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast