Thread: Air Cleaners?

Question

What do you recomend for air cleaners (if any) for a heat pump system? Or just use the standard filter?

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    For heat pumps and A/C the wet coil is a very good filter,much better then a standard filter.So unless you want the coil to need cleaning often,go with a minimum merv 8 filter,wet coil is estimated to be a merv 5 or 6.

Goggle merv rating to read more.It's the filter ability to catch smaller paticles,before the reach the equipment.

Better filters are more restrictive and need to be taken into account in the Manual D (from ACCA),duct design,to maintain required air flow.

Do some research on the Dynamic Air Cleaner. Can be made to most filter sizes, and hooks in to the 24 volt on the air handler. They're 97% effective.
    "If you can't fix it, don't break it."

Aprilaire model 2200 or 2400 media. http://www.aprilaire.com/product.asp...722CD120E8C7F6
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

Senior Tech Guest
    Originally posted by duct dr
    Do some research on the Dynamic Air Cleaner. Can be made to most filter sizes, and hooks in to the 24 volt on the air handler. They're 97% effective.
    I think you mean efficient? A question has recently been raised in one of our shop meetings as to this filter restricting air flow due to carbon insert. I haven't had a chance to check it first hand but when I do I'll probably have something to say about it...personally I think Spacegards (Now known as Aprilaire) are tough to beat.

They're not restrictive at all Senior, I've installed bunches of them. Aprilaire's are great I agree, but pricey. For the money you can't go wrong with the Dynamic.
    "If you can't fix it, don't break it."

Lightbulb dP Penalty vs . Benefits

Originally posted by building in central pa
    What do you recomend for air cleaners (if any) for a heat pump system? Or just use the standard filter?
    Standard = Any1
    http://www.aafilters.com/airconditioningfilters.htm

REALly, no such thing as Standard.
    Use of MERV 6 or higher filter requires < 200 FPM.

Use a low resistance pleated filter unless soemone in you family has allergies or other respiratory difficulties.

Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities