My father needs to replace his 50+ year old furnace. The
    system I am told is a Indirect Hotwater System. Does anyone have any information on these? Which are the best furnaces, contractors in the southern NJ, Cherry Hill area? Thanks.

50+ years original installer must of been pretty good you should if he is still alive otherwise click the tab above on find a contractor and put in your zipcode.

Any recommendations on furnaces for this system?

Originally posted by mross
    Any recommendations on furnaces for this system?
    Is it gas or oil powered?

Indirect hot water system applies to domestic hot water generation, nothing to do with space heating.

Do you mean a boiler? Is it a hydronic system (hot water or steam) or hot air? An indirect HW heater is heated by a boiler.

Indirect heating

It's apparently been around longer than some of us on this site.

It certainly does exist. Check it out.

http://www.heatinghelp.com/heating_howcome2.cfm

Noel

been doing this work in south jersey 35 yrs, never saw anything like that.

This is not very common to find.Out of the twenty years I have been doing this I saw one indirect floor convector fifteen years ago in a huge mansion.I would not worry nearly as much about what kind of boiler as I would about the installer.Ask around & find the best boiler contractor in your area.
    Take your time & do it right!

Furnace refers to hot air,boiler to water or steam.Which do you have? Being someone reco a Indirect I would think you have a boiler.I use Buderas's indirects with good success along with either Buderas,Weil mclain,peerless boilers.

I'll try and elaborate as much as I can. The furnace is fueled by oil. The reason it needs replacing is the fire box is distorting. The system worked as sort of a two zoned system. One thermostat controlled the house the other was in the water tank. (At least this is how it was explaned to me). The house has radiators through out which the hot water is piped through. One fault of the system is/was is the hot water out of a faucet is the same hot water piped though the house. Right, if the heater is running don't think about a shower, and hope the heat does not go on during a shower. Brrr. That's it as best as I can relate.

sounds like a boiler with tankless coil

I agree sounds like a boiler with a tank-less coil. I would suggest replacement of said boiler and consider an indirect-fired storage tank and zoning control with priority. This would give you large amounts of hot water with virtually no flow rate restictions. Contact a reputable hydronics expert in your community.