Carrier Quality - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Carrier Quality

Talking

James 3528 --> "You got 30 years out of a unit and you are shopping around? Turning head to laugh. "

I don't understand. If you get 30 years out of a car, do you buy the first vehicle that the next car salesman suggests, just because your last car was so great?

What exactly does the success (or failure) of something you bought 30 years ago have to do with what you're going to buy today?

YES, I'm actually paying attention to what I purchase ... maybe I can do half as well as I did the last time.

Slowly shaking head in wonder.

~~~~~~~~

tpa-fl --> "Go with the installer that you feel most comfortable with ..."

Boy, it really IS the installer, isn't it? That's why I dumped the last guy and latched on to this one. He seems honest and competent too, he even complimented my last guy's handiwork... Plus, he knows how to use those little numbered buttons on a phone. Sounds like a perfect combination of skills to me.

~~~~~~~~~

Thanks everybody for the Carrier feedback. I've started calling around locally to see if people will service my "one year old" Carrier under warranty. They unanimously say that they will honor any parts warranty, but not the labor. Half of them suggest that I contact my original installer first, to save money on the labor. I'm feeling very good about that.

Tx,

George

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Not any of those returned by members here,but around 1/3 of all coils returned ,don't leak,same for Copeland Compressors ,returned to them.

Going to buy my lotto ticket now!!LOL

The main problem with carrier and its sister products is the cost of replacement parts after the warranty runs out.
    This may not be a problem all over but the distributor in my area charges prices that make me uncomfortable to have to pass along to my customer.

Do you mean that the coil (or compressor) is blamed by the installer and returned under warranty, but in 33% of the cases, the installer is wrong?

Food for thought.

Thanks.

Originally posted by dash
    Not any of those returned by members here,but around 1/3 of all coils returned ,don't leak,same for Copeland Compressors ,returned to them.

I can vouch for this statement.

Years ago (94 era) Carrier had big time problems with tube sheet leaks on condenser coils. Of course they issued a bulletin and paid labor/material to repair.

People still contend it is a big Carrier problem, but at this point is nothing more than urban myth. There are failures, but no where near the amounts that are claimed.

Two years ago we helped collect bad condenser coils and evaporator coils in a program to test for leakage. We were involved with a program to help identify where the failures are so as to make necessary improvements.

As stated by DASH, many coils turned in under warranty did NOT leak. I think many techs can’t find a refrigerant leak if it was blowing oil right in there face. But it is easy to say “the leak is in the coil, Carrier has all kinds of problems with coil leaks” of course the leak is not “pin pointed” but it must be in there someplace because I don’t see anything else leaking, right?

I will not even address the amount of circuit boards returned under warranty that are good!

My CZ II system in my house works like a dream, been in going on its fifth year. It was returned under warranty as a “bad product”.

Live each day like it is your last, for one day you will be right!

Originally posted by mightycpa
    Do you mean that the coil (or compressor) is blamed by the installer and returned under warranty, but in 33% of the cases, the installer is wrong?

Food for thought.

Thanks.
    I think so, and could be higher than that. I am sure it is higher than that on things like circuit boards.

Compressors are probably less, but are killed rather than mis-diagnosed.

Just remember, there are some great HVAC guys out there. But they are out numbered 7 to 1 by the hacks.
    Live each day like it is your last, for one day you will be right!

[B]James 3528 --> "You got 30 years out of a unit and you are shopping around? Turning head to laugh. "

I don't understand. If you get 30 years out of a car, do you buy the first vehicle that the next car salesman suggests, just because your last car was so great?

What exactly does the success (or failure) of something you bought 30 years ago have to do with what you're going to buy today?
    Plenty. First off it ain't a car. Rheem is one of the few builders that has maintained quality with engineering and the technician in mind except for a few frustrating things. You got 30 out of the old one because of this and a few more factors which means you also need to go find the same guy that put the old one in.

James 3528...

I still don't think I can compare the quality and workmanship of a 30 year old Rheem AC to a new Rheem heat pump...apples and oranges, I'm convinced. What is probably more germane is, as you say, that Rheem has "maintained quality" manufacturing standards over the 30 years. If they had not done so, your premise would not hold.

Also, I'm pretty sure the original tech is sipping pina coladas somewhere in air-conditioned splendor, so I've got to change with the times.

I considered another Rheem, but I'm of the same mind as one of the posts that said, "find an installer you're comfortable with, then get the equipment he's comfortable with."

I rejected the Goodman units, because without exception, nobody in my area honors the warranties... not even the original distributor, who is no longer a distributor.

Goodman told me directly that when a part is presented for warranty replacement, the tech must go to the distributor, the distributor looks up the serial number, and if the distributor didn't distribute it originally, they were not obliged to replace the part under warranty, and would generally send you to "the place you bought it from".

I just wanted to make sure the Carrier people didn't play the same games with the warranties, thus my caution.

Tx,

George

Why do dealers switch brands?

Dash, it really comes down to the management. In some areas, there is good management that understands the business, personable, customer oriented, has empathy for the dealers, honest & truly appreciates the dealer's business. In other areas, Carrier corporate has hired a bunch of arrogant, corporate "air heads" that dealers really cannot stand. In many areas, Carrier has lost huge, major dealers to the competition just because of the people they have to deal with. People buy from people. Apparently, in Florida, you have some good people running the show at this time.

Re: Why do dealers switch brands?

Originally posted by mr big
    Dash, it really comes down to the management. In some areas, there is good management that understands the business, personable, customer oriented, has empathy for the dealers, honest & truly appreciates the dealer's business. In other areas, Carrier corporate has hired a bunch of arrogant, corporate "air heads" that dealers really cannot stand. In many areas, Carrier has lost huge, major dealers to the competition just because of the people they have to deal with. People buy from people. Apparently, in Florida, you have some good people running the show at this time.

You are correct about personalities,and frankly I don't get along that well personally with that many in thier management,I just don't let it effect our decision making.

20 years ago ,I would have loikely thrown them out the door,today the seldom come thru the door.

I'd like a better personal relationship with them,but I can't knock the overall job they are doing taking care of business.

At least we have a very good TM,so it's his problem to deal with them,when I choose not to.

You are correct,other dealers have walked,due to their attitude,but it's always been that way.

I could not agree with you more, Dash.Its not just Carrier, its the American corporate way!

James 3528...

I still don't think I can compare the quality and workmanship of a 30 year old Rheem AC to a new Rheem heat pump...apples and oranges, I'm convinced. What is probably more germane is, as you say, that Rheem has "maintained quality" manufacturing standards over the 30 years. If they had not done so, your premise would not hold.

Also, I'm pretty sure the original tech is sipping pina coladas somewhere in air-conditioned splendor, so I've got to change with the times.

I considered another Rheem, but I'm of the same mind as one of the posts that said, "find an installer you're comfortable with, then get the equipment he's comfortable with."

I rejected the Goodman units, because without exception, nobody in my area honors the warranties... not even the original distributor, who is no longer a distributor.

Goodman told me directly that when a part is presented for warranty replacement, the tech must go to the distributor, the distributor looks up the serial number, and if the distributor didn't distribute it originally, they were not obliged to replace the part under warranty, and would generally send you to "the place you bought it from".

I just wanted to make sure the Carrier people didn't play the same games with the warranties, thus my caution.

Tx,

George
    Go for comfy then. I have been doing this for 20 years and have installed thousands of Rheem units as well as other brands. My premise was that you had a good installer and guy to service the thing to start with and that is the most important thing next to the brand that had been maintaining its quality. It's not about apples, oranges or cars. If you want questionable coils made by Juan Valdez, fire down on a Carrier or a Goodman that comes in Saran wrap with the warranty issues. Your warranty is only as good as the guy that comes to fix it.

We all have our opinions about the quality of various brands ,over the last 10 to 30 years,based on our experience.

The interesting thing is one says X is better then Y ,and the next says Y is better then X.

I respect a lot of people opinions on this site ,and even they disagree ,with each other.Point is I don't think it's just people making up claims about brands they "don't like or sell".

Real mystery.Could the install or service have any effect on coils,besides harsh chemicals used in cleaning?

Does a furnace that has low air flow ,get hot enough to effect the coil??

That said,I wouldn't be concerned about the quality of Carrier air handler coils,we don't do a lot of furnaces so I can't say for sure on furnace coils.

[Edited by dash on 06-02-2005 at 04:50 PM]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast