Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Carrier Quality

here are some faults with different brands
    rheem, still mad about the condenser motors hung on cables, and buy some screws with 5/16 heads on them.
    carrier, quit stamping your furnace cabinets out of beer cans, short fat furnaces are not a good thing. who designed the duel fuel package, york did away with that design years ago.
    york, good ideas, over engineered, how about a little more room in the control cabinet.
    trane, how about making sure all your wiring harnesses are plugged in tight, and if you are going to use cheap capacitors, quit mounting them on their side where they will leak.
    lennox, how about transfering the qualities of the l series commercial equipment to the residential line.
    goodman, how about reeling in your distributors, if they have to load the unit in the trunk of the car, they probably shouldn't be selling it. hacks are killing your reputation.
    i could go on but why?
    i wanted to put a picture here

hvac r us 2, there's this new -fangled invention called a refrigerant leak detector . I happen to have two different kinds.One is an H10 & the other is the H10 X . If I can't find a leak with these tools, then there isn't one. Period.Glad you don't have problems with Carrier. I do and can't install one with any confidence . Why are there no creditanitals for you? It would make your insults easier to take . I can assure you if I say there's a leaky coil, then I better be able to pin-point that leak to you or the customer.Don't you think? Any time I've ever had to return a condensing coil or evap. coil I've sprayed red paint on the exact spot of the leak. Carrier isn't the only company that has leakers, but they have more than I care to deal with.Please excuse me if I mis-understood your comments,but they were pretty bold statments.

Originally posted by mightycpa
    I've started calling around locally to see if people will service my "one year old" Carrier under warranty. They unanimously say that they will honor any parts warranty, but not the labor.
    Thats because the installer owns the 1st year labor warranty, not Carrier. The guy that sells the unit on a retail level is the 1st year labor warranty (reread your warranty document)If it says anything about labor its an agreement with anyone who sells Carrier that the contractor must provide 1 year labor. If he can recoup some of that from Carrier thats another thing but the warranty doesnt state that labor is covered. Generally any labor from the mfg or distributor to the contractor is on a concession basis. A guy who didnt install it owes nobody anything.

I believe that your approach as a customer, is flawed.
    There is not a brand made that cannot outlive it's warranty and there's not a brand made that does not have warranty issues.
    I like the first response given by James to your post.
    If you used Rheem with satisfactory results, why not replace with the same?
    Quality of installation and services are what you need to be addressing.

"Product dumping is what is resorted to by those who do not know the inherent flaws and qualities of the equipment they sell and the services they provide".

Well, perhaps my approach IS flawed. That's one reason I'm listening in.

But when a company (Goodman) tells me that its own warranty has issues, I think I should listen. And I think I finally understand what James 3528 meant by "shopping around", thanks to your seconding the suggestion that Rheem should be my first choice brand.

I still have serious issues with "a company's products were good 30 years ago, so I'm sticking with them", but I will stipulate that I hear that Rheem is still a good brand, plus my personal experience, and from the experience of many of the pro's on this forum.

However, that doesn't mean that Carrier is bad -- but I will admit that I've heard more negative about Carrier than I have about Rheem.

So maybe you're right. Maybe Rheem is the way to go.

But what about the proposition that I work with the brands that my techie likes? Is that BS, because deep down inside, all of these brands get installed the same, and all will have the same installation issues? So that the brand, as James 3528 put it, is the second most important issue?

Is there a consensus that Rheem is superior to Carrier equivalents?

Tx,

George

FWIW yes Rheem is a decent unit for the money.I can honestly say that I've never had any issues with Rheem .They seem to have a good quality control. As a matter of fact I'm bidding some new construction and will be using Rheem .I asked the superintendent why they wanted Carrier and the answer was "name recognition". Not because it was any better or worse.I was given three choices, Goodman,Carrier,& Rheem. I feel you get more bang for your buck with Rheem ,but that's only my opinion.In thirty plus years I can't recall having any leaky coils with Rheem .

mightycpa;
    I wasn't seconding the post as a way of pushing one maker over another. If I had equipment that served me well for that long a period of time, it would definitely be my first option to consider.
    My advice is to research the COMPANY that performs the work much more diligently than the MANUFACTURER that produces the equipment.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Originally posted by the dangling wrangler
    hvac r us 2, there's this new -fangled invention called a refrigerant leak detector . I happen to have two different kinds.One is an H10 & the other is the H10 X . If I can't find a leak with these tools, then there isn't one. Period.Glad you don't have problems with Carrier. I do and can't install one with any confidence . Why are there no creditanitals for you? It would make your insults easier to take . I can assure you if I say there's a leaky coil, then I better be able to pin-point that leak to you or the customer.Don't you think? Any time I've ever had to return a condensing coil or evap. coil I've sprayed red paint on the exact spot of the leak. Carrier isn't the only company that has leakers, but they have more than I care to deal with.Please excuse me if I mis-understood your comments,but they were pretty bold statments.

Your ability,doesn't change the facts about warranty returns.

My experience says Rheem has/had more the it's share of "perforated coils"leaking like crazy.

Credentials are optional,but believe me hvacrus2 ,is more qualified than most, on this site.

I just took 4 "DOA" evap coils off the test stand...not a single leak, but the HO will never know that. They think we sold them a defective product. Used to see the same crap at my previous employer. Products have all had their ups and downs, but a lot of the downs are perpetuated by lazy technicians.

Originally posted by the dangling wrangler
    Boy this is rather early to be getting attacked, not sure I have the strength for this as I missed my bowl of Wheaties this morning.

I don’t believe I addressed anything to you did I? I will have to go back and look…

What did I say that was so offensive anyways?

That most items returned under warranty are not bad?
    That many techs can’t find a refrigerant leak?
    That there are more hacks than good HVAC people?

I certainly wasn’t claiming you fit that profile. But I still stand by those statements as I know them to be accurate.

I know the items that come back under warranty that are still good, I see them.
    I can’t tell how many complaints I hear about each year claiming “they add Freon to my system every year, nobody can find the leak”
    And I deal with over 150 dealers, more than 3000 technicians on a regular basis, and can tell you that the skill level is not where it should be. This obviously is a national problem considering the NATE core test has less than 50% passing rate nationally.

Sorry these types of statements offend you, they offend me…but it is the sad truth.

On the up side, I think things will get better with more testing, certifications, and stricter guidelines, and more complicated equipment.

I am familiar with those fancy leak detector things, I have a few of those I collected in my lifetime like the Tiff, GE H-10, D-Tek, Amprobe Sonic, and if all else fails I go to my trusty bottle of Big Blue!

And for the record, nothing I stated was meant to be an insult towards anybody, just an opinion based on my observations over the last 20 years.

I also don't think my credentials mean a whole lot to anybody. Another observation I have made is on many occasions they guy with the best resume is the worst offender.

I love this buisness, but it is full of fustrations...many of which are self created by HVAC guys in the field IMO. Like I already said, there are some damn fine HVAC guys out there...to bad they are out numbered.

Have a nice day

[Edited by hvac r us 2 on 06-03-2005 at 10:21 AM]
    Live each day like it is your last, for one day you will be right!

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Hvac r us 2,

Are you talking about my resume,and calling me the worst offender?!?!?!

LOL,and I think something else may have happen to his Wheaties!LOL

Originally posted by dash
    Hvac r us 2,

Are you talking about my resume,and calling me the worst offender?!?!?!

Maybe! LOL

Stop your profiling, it was just a opinion! LOL

Come on now DASH, you know my opinion of you is very high, even though you wont sell Carrier duct free units!

Live each day like it is your last, for one day you will be right!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123