Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carrier Quality

Hi,

I'm replacing my 30 year old Rheem AC with a new high efficiency heat pump system. I've selected a new HVAC contractor who knows how to answer his phone and call me back before a month has gone by.

When I informed my old HVAC contractor of this decision by email, I got a phone call in record time! He tried to convince me that Carrier products are a problem when it comes to exercising the warranty. I don't know if this was honest advice (I do believe he's honest), or if it was the desperation of losing a large job talking. It did not sway me from my decision to replace him, but I do value his advice, and I wonder.

I did reject purchasing Goodman, mainly because of the warranty issues that Goodman itself confirmed to me. Are there any Carrier proponents or haters out there, mostly with regard to warranty issues? Should I take this warning to heart?

Tx,

George

You got 30 years out of a unit and you are shopping around?

Turning head to laugh.

There's older systems that are still running out there fine. While I wouldn't want to wait that long, for a lot of people, "if it ain't broke..".

To the original poster: It's all equally poorly made, no matter the brand. Carrier seems to have a problem in coastal (salt-air) environments but otherwise performs just as bad as everyone else out there. Don't expect 30 years out of the junk that any of the manufacturers are making today. Efficiency = smaller motors, thinner metals for heat transfer, etc. Almost everything that works against longevity. There's plenty of Carrier dealers here who install them day-in, day-out without any major problems. A competent installer is what makes the difference. While they'll be reluctant to admit it, some of the HVAC techs in here have Goodman in their own homes and it runs fine, 'though it wouldn't have been their first choice of equipment to install. Likewise, Goodman is well-known for having distributors who will sell anyone, licensed & trained or not.

Go with the installer that you feel most comfortable with and let them use the equipment they're most comfortable with. They'll know all of the little quirks & tricks for that brand b/c they deal with it every day.

Arrow no probs w/ carrier.

i haven't had any problems with carrier equipment or their warranties. granted i have a 12-seer Payne condenser with a carrier variable speed air handler. txv and sight glass at the air handler. as far as warranties, totaline is the distributor in tampa, and those guys are great! brett runs a good ship there! technical advice department is pretty darn good as well. my rep. is a female and she rules. always gets the information i am needing & usually more! authorized equipment dealers, reguardless of name brand, can always get parts warrantied as long as they are under warranty. hands down, i like dealing w/ carrier.

I know that I've had a number of leaky evap. & condenser coils. Nothing but problems trying to warranty less than 14 day old equipment.The only time I sell Carrier is if the customer asks for it .

I am not a Carrier fan and prefer Rheem personally but have never had a problem with parts or warranty claims with Carrier or Bryant. Could be that your local Carrier supplier is the problem, not Carrier itself.

It was Carrier Sales and Distribution, LLC in Houston TX.
    7007 Old Katy Road. I guess it could have been my sales person, but who wants to deal with people like that? I
    wasn't even allowed a labor claim on a 2 day old condenser that had a leaky coil. This was a 12 SEER unit, not the
    builders grade. Didn't even offer me a freon allowance to
    get the customer through the weekend.

Carrier Sales & Distribution

Carrier Sales & Distribution in some areas is a nightmare. It is definitely hard to receive any labor dollars from a manufacturer. I hate to sound old fashioned, but it was much better in the old days. Low margins & the bottom line have forced Carrier & others to tighten their belts. Within Carrier Sales & Distribution, your salesman really has no say in a warranty situation.Its all corporate policy that sucks! Dealing with the "Big Blue" is not any fun in many parts of the country; just ask the dealers in those areas. Many are selling other brands now. Carrier is a good manufacturer, but I really do not think they are a good distributor. I prefer the independent distributor that knows that one size does not fit all!

I do know since we started selling American Standard, there's been no call backs, and they seem to really want my business. I think that Carrier is living off their old reputation as a superior piece of equipment. Not so any more. I tried going with ICP but the same problems, leaky coils. But what did I expect? Carrier is the parent company of ICP.So unless a customer just demands Carrier then I won't sell it.

I know I've come across a WHOLE BUNCH of leaky coils in the 3-7 yr old range on carriers. I've (most others around here as well) just come to accept that carriers coils are junk.
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"
    "he that's walking with wise persons will become wise, but he that is having dealings with the stupid ones will fare badly" Proverbs 13:20
    "Pressure is something people feel when they don't know what their doing". Peyton Manning-superbowl MVP

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Why is it that some have problems with one brand,and others don't???

We sell Carrier ,deal with Carrier Sales and Distribution,and don't have problems that would make us think of changing.

Why do some win the lottery and others don't???

Read the lightening strikes twice post

I had leak problems with Carrier on two different units and starting at day one, Carrier was notified but always blamed it on the lines which were replaced a number of times. Also had numerous other problems that Carrier wouldn't take care of under warranty. Two complete units in 20 years and niether have been very good units. I am getting ready to build another house and needless to say, there won't be a Carrier setting beside of it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast