+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: AccuTools BluVac Micron Gauge

Post Likes
    I have the scale with the charging module i have only had it a week or so and so far I love it. Its nice to be able to program in your charge and walk away

Post Likes
    Micron guages have always been a problem in our lab. Joe was nice to help us get one and so far its looking like the replacement for our old standby TE's.

One very nice thing will be the oil contamination indicator and the calibration feature. I'm forever asking the students what might be wrong with their set-up when they can't get to 500. Now at least they can see if they got oil in the hose/sensor.

Spent several minutes cleaning YJ and TE sensors Friday morning. I found using a turkey needle injector very helpful.
    keep your ice cold and flame hot

Post Likes
    im ordering this tonight cant wait to get it ..... hey joeyd im glad as i read through this thread i see u updated the product to work in temps lower than 32 .... that was almost a deal breaker . . . . almost was going to just buy the vg64 again today but there wasnt one on the shelf so i decided to question other products out there & was directed to this product . . . hey idk if u handle shipping direct but throw in a product related XL tshirt for the guy ordering the bluvac @ 9:40 eastern time shipping to NJ

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac wiz 33 View Post
    im ordering this tonight cant wait to get it ..... hey joeyd im glad as i read through this thread i see u updated the product to work in temps lower than 32 .... that was almost a deal breaker . . . . almost was going to just buy the vg64 again today but there wasnt one on the shelf so i decided to question other products out there & was directed to this product . . . hey idk if u handle shipping direct but throw in a product related XL tshirt for the guy ordering the bluvac @ 9:40 eastern time shipping to NJ
    Thanks for the order, Wiz, I hope you enjoy it. Please let me know if you have any problems or questions. Tshirts are S and M only......just kidding......there are no tshirts!

Post Likes
    just got my bluvac yesterday in the mail. busted it out and was playin with it just pulling a vaccum on a 5foot hose with the gauge on the end. i can't get it too hold a vaccum. no matter what i do. i've tried just a hose and using the pump to blank off then i tried my manifold thinking my pump might have a small leak. but it still just keeps climbing. i can pull the hose off completley and sometimes it just climbs in microns doesn't go to hi-p?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mjm88 View Post
    just got my bluvac yesterday in the mail. busted it out and was playin with it just pulling a vaccum on a 5foot hose with the gauge on the end. i can't get it too hold a vaccum. no matter what i do. i've tried just a hose and using the pump to blank off then i tried my manifold thinking my pump might have a small leak. but it still just keeps climbing.
    I know ain't it cool!! Did you expect something different?

i can pull the hose off completley and sometimes it just climbs in microns doesn't go to hi-p?
    Could be dirty or most likely residual gas or something beside air is in the sensor cavity still. If you blow at the tip it will clear very quickly.
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Post Likes
    i guess i thought it should be able to hold a vaccum on a 5 foot hose? it pulls down to 200 microns and jumps up to over 2000 no matter what. maybe i'm doin somethin wrong

Post Likes
    just got my bluvac yesterday in the mail. busted it out and was playin with it just pulling a vaccum on a 5foot hose with the gauge on the end. i can't get it too hold a vaccum. no matter what i do. i've tried just a hose and using the pump to blank off then i tried my manifold thinking my pump might have a small leak. but it still just keeps climbing. i can pull the hose off completley and sometimes it just climbs in microns doesn't go to hi-p?
    If your hose is old (say more that a year or two) it is likely to leak. When I test my micron gauge I have an isolation valve connected directly to the micron gauge. No hose, nothing but the micron gauge and the ball valve. the more stuff you have the more opportunities for a leak. You shouldn't expect a hose to not leak.

Is this your first micron gauge?

PS- lots of brand new hoses leak quite a bit. It seems it takes some use before the o-rings start to seal up properly.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.

Two pressures, four temperatures = SUCCESS!

Boulder Heating Contractor

For Consumers:

For HVACR Professionals:

Post Likes
    first one that works. my boss gave me one and it was an old thermal and i had to keep sending it in to get fixed. i guess i didn't think about the hose leaking and the gauge being so accurate.

Post Likes
    first one that works. my boss gave me one and it was an old thermal and i had to keep sending it in to get fixed. i guess i didn't think about the hose leaking and the gauge being so accurate.
    I'm not sure what to make of this unit everybody is crazy about, but I can tell you that using any reliable micron gauge will significantly change the way you do things.

I get really annoyed at the prospect of buying new hoses every year or so when they work perfectly well for pressurized systems but suck wind when you are pulling a vacuum so I do things like this:

Instead of using hoses and a manifold I use the vacuum pump, the micron gauges, 1/4 ball valves, and 1/4 copper and flare nuts. The copper tubing is the key to the whole thing. I take as many connections, fittings, and all the hoses out of the equation. My systems pull down quicker, lower, and with fewer mistakes.

You also need to learn about Nitrogen brazing and triple evac procedures.

If you do a search you can read up here.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.

For Consumers:

For HVACR Professionals:

Post Likes
    You've got multiple issues going on here. First, the volume of your hose is *very* small, it doesn't take a large leak or much outgassing to make the pressure rise rapidly.

Secondly, don't rely on your pump's blank-off valve...in my experience, they are unreliable and generally very leaky, especially when turning the valve. Turning the valve usually results in a rapid jump in pressure.

Third, your long hose is both susceptible to permeation of gas through the hose and seals, and it also sounds like you have refrigerant absorbed into the inside surface of the hose.

There is lots of good advice, both here and on other forums, as to how to pull a deep and stable vacuum. Use good quality vacuum rated vacuum hoses, possibly a vacuum rated core removal tool, and, pull against a larger volume and for a longer time.

The BluVac is *very* sensitive and responds very fast to small changes in pressure. It really lets you see what is going on inside your evacuated volume. It will take some getting use to.

Good luck!

Post Likes

Thumbs up

Very well said Joe.
    keep your ice cold and flame hot

Post Likes
    I'm ordering one of these tomorrow. Too many good reviews and it looks solid.
    Also , the analog " graph " feature has me sold.

My favorite gauges are the Thermal ( 14071 ? ) and the Robinair 14010A analogs. I hope this gauge puts the others back in the garage

Post Likes
    so.......has anyone used the bluvacs yet? trying to get some feedback. or do not alot of people own them? or maybe everyone that owns one is to busy vacuuming systems and cant post on here how well they work?

Post Likes
    it works good . . to the point I wonder how BAD my supco was with accuracy. I've only used it once on a job but played around with my pump & some hoses. I am looking for ways to better beef up my vacuum set up. can u guys post pics of your ways & set ups ? . . . matter of fact I should start a thread here in this forum

Post Likes
    i think u guys should make the end piece be able to hook to a 1/4" shraider port. or sell and adapter with the gauge. im not liking how you have to hook a hose upto it

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gravity View Post
    i think u guys should make the end piece be able to hook to a 1/4" shraider port. or sell and adapter with the gauge. im not liking how you have to hook a hose upto it
    I assume "u guys" means AccuTools. When designing the BluVac, we labored over what we thought would be the best fitting. Should it be M or F Flare? Perhaps a 1/8th or 1/4th male NPT (to allow multiple adapters). A 'T' possibly?

What we learned is that every tech has his own individual preference. We chose the 1/4 Male Flare because it is overall the most reliable and least susceptible to damage.

As far as adapters go, they are available everywhere. Some cheap, some expensive, some good, some bad. Our business is making the best electronic tools available. We don't do hardware...others do that much better than we can! I know a lot of techs that make their own fittings...they don't trust much of what they could buy.

There are many threads here and on other forums that highly recommend using a core removal tool as the gauge adapter...specifically, it seems that there is a high regard for the Appion core tool. I am not associated with Appion, but if their core tool makes my gauge work better, I have no problem passing on the info!

Post Likes
    i use 2 core removal tools during vacuum. i think im going to get a 1/4 swivel connector. i just got the bluvac today and hooked it up to my vac pump using a vacuum hose to see how it worked. seems pretty cool now ill have to check it out in the field.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gravity View Post
    so.......has anyone used the bluvacs yet? trying to get some feedback. or do not alot of people own them? or maybe everyone that owns one is to busy vacuuming systems and cant post on here how well they work?
    I got one.

Found out that my Robinair vaccum blank-off was leaking.

Also found out that my TIF micron gauge sensor assembly was leaking.

The Blue-Vac is MUCH faster in resolving the micron numbers than the TIF.

I found out that my Thermal vacuum pump gets down to 36 microns.

It will take some time to figure out how to set this one up. I do not yet have a way to blank off the system accurately.

I do like the small size.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by neophytes serendipity View Post
    I got one.

Found out that my Robinair vaccum blank-off was leaking.

Also found out that my TIF micron gauge sensor assembly was leaking.

The Blue-Vac is MUCH faster in resolving the micron numbers than the TIF.

I found out that my Thermal vacuum pump gets down to 36 microns.

It will take some time to figure out how to set this one up. I do not yet have a way to blank off the system accurately.

I do like the small size.
    Since when do blank off valves NOT leak?

Every pump I've ever had leaks like a sieve at the blank off valve. I'd waiting to see this gauge stack up against some of the better micron gauges.

For Consumers:

For HVACR Professionals:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in