Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Not sure what NATE has to do with this thread at all.

Also note that meeting manufacturers requirements in many cases, is like meeting minimum standards (code)

The poster asked for a changeout rating.
    All things considered, it's quite sloppy.

Thanks for the replies folks.

I thought this was somewhat sloppy work. This install was in an attic as mentioned and was very hot. Access is up a built-in ladder from the main attic floor. So this is very near the roof. Storm was coming so they were in a hurry to get things finished. They got behind schedule as they found the current line set was leaking and had to replace it. They had to run it up along the fireplace chase (fire place has a gas insert prefab shell and flue with a lot of room on either side of the flue, so they came up from crawl space through this to attic. Acceptable?

It was installed about 2 weeks ago.

There is a float switch, just didn't get it in the photos.

So the things of most concern are the TXv, galvanized pipe,
    transition to filter and also to coil. The return plenum is couple of inches from the rafters, so wonder if there was room for a transition? Will the pan actually function as configured on the plywood, or will water just flow over as plywood flexes.

What do you see as the most important things to have adressed?

I would be happy to post more pics of anything if anyone wants more views or different views of anything.

Thanks guys.

OK if you insist, I don't like the gas flex line running into the furnace should be a short piece of black pipe stubbed out of the furnace itself and then attach the flex line. I don't like the copper gas line either but in some states it's ok, They should have insulated the main drain line with rubbertex or armorflex or whatever, we always sit the condenser on a slab no matter what but that is just my personal preference. TXV I am guessing is in the coil box I don't use Carrier coils so I don't know just a guess, other than that the job is not that bad, does it live up to your expectations as for as the performance? I don't see a sloppy job there myself but I don't see a perfect one either kinda in between but that's just my opinion, we would probably do a little better on some things but there is room for improvement on just about everything in life, except JC himself he is pretty much good to go.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

If it has a TXV (Must be inside the case?)it looks good to go,everything is sealed well,everything else is just looks and you don't have to look at it just the service tech every season.

someone once said,on this board[don't remember whom],that you can bet some guy is ripping on one of your jobs right now.I'd have done some things different, but thats me.All in all it's not the worst I've seen.
    Some people swear by me and some at me

A transition should have been used between the furnace and coil, vent pipe should have been turned to exit the top of the furnace. Pressure treated wood is okay in drain pans, but I would have hung the coil with drive material. Flex gas line is fine to run to the furnace and meets code, but I dont like the copper feeding it. Take the cap off the primary drain, it won't drain properly with it on, but it doesn't need a "P" trap. I like the mastic although a little excessive. Where's the TXV?? Try using an SS1 safety switch in the primary drain wired to the low voltage, then you won't need a switch in the pan. What clearence do you have between the condensor and the walls, does'nt look like enough. Whether a person is NATE certified or not, jobs should be done RIGHT all the time. And yes, I am NATE certified.
    "If you can't fix it, don't break it."

Originally posted by chillbilly
    I'm no NATE apologist. But that's easy. It's the shallow thinker's scape goat for the trade's problems. Is your filter dirty? That damned NATE tech must not have installed it right. Did you blow a fuse? NATE must have recommended some crappy fuses. Stub your toe on the couch? That sinister looking NATE repair dude must have moved the furniture around when you weren't looking.

LOL!

Is that unit laying on top of wires?

Originally posted by Irascible
    Originally posted by chillbilly
    I'm no NATE apologist. But that's easy. It's the shallow thinker's scape goat for the trade's problems. Is your filter dirty? That damned NATE tech must not have installed it right. Did you blow a fuse? NATE must have recommended some crappy fuses. Stub your toe on the couch? That sinister looking NATE repair dude must have moved the furniture around when you weren't looking.

LOL!

Think you could have posted that somewhere else. He wasn't asking peoples opinions of NATE, he was wanting opinions on the system. Yet someone HAS to ................nevermind. I take pride in my work and my certifications, enough said.

You're right. I could have. But didn't. And by you unnecessarily commenting on an ostensibly unnecessary comment, you've drawn out the unnecessary conversation.

When I see such blissfully obtuse and never ending commentary from our "definite article challenged" friend madeinusa I can't help but comment.

In that case............have a nice day.

As we all know that isnt a perfect install but come on guys...if you think thats a hack install yall need to come to my neck of the woods and I will take you around to some real hack installs but im sure youve seen them. Being a little over critical on the boys who put that in. There are a few mistakes but nothing really major and you guys know it. I would rather have a sloppy mastic job done than the crap tape I see all over the place around here. Not the best install but way far from the worse.

Hey guys you ever have one of those days where nothing goes right or its in a hot attic or a tight crawl space and you just want to get out of there. I think this was one of those installs. I think we all have those days once in a while when your not on top of your game. I admit I sometimes have them usually its the little things that set me off like spending an hour and a half fishing a gas line over a finished basement ceiling. While I am struggling all I can think about is it would only take me five minutes if I busted out my claw hammer. As I get older I realize that someone is paying money for this system and no matter how bad the job is all I have to do is collect myself and just do it right. Cause we all know what happens when you rush the job. The customer will go back over the system to see what they are paying for and will find those shortcuts and guess what then your back where you started. But now its worse cause while your redoing it you can cuss yourself out for not doing it right. So I would say as a customer check it out if their are things you dont like about it call them back. Cause your the one that has to live with it not them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast