Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    First, thanks all the help on this forum. Greatly appreciated.

Pulled the trigger on Carrier, Infinity 3 ton. 38tdb036, ck3bxa036, 58cva070, aprilaire media filter, uv light (not hooked up yet due to back order).

Hard to find contractor, got several bids and went with one that wasn't the lowest. Factory authorized outfit, which sounds good, but am not sure if it really means anything. Does it?

Any way, here are the pics, rip away:

well,....in the first picture somebodt needs to replace the switchcover and they need to wash their hands after playing in the mastic before they go outside and install the whip off the disconnect.....................na' just kiddin' looks good enough to me,how old is the install now?

I dont like the position of that flue pipe...I would have flipped it so it was on top side...also I would have put a trap in that condensate line. I do like the fact that they used mastic all over...might not look too perty but its surely a very sealed system. I dont see a float switch on that safety pan...I know they have it piped out but would still put a float switch on it.

You did say this was a Factory Authorized Dealer didn’t you?

To be a Carrier Factory Authorized Dealer you have to be Nate certified.

This is exactly why I would never get Nate certified, because we do not want to be associated with sorry workmanship and ignorant installs like this.

I guess they were just either to much in a hurry to get to the local beer joint, or they thought running more drain lines is cheaper than rerunning the copper.

That is a bi-directional air flow coil, and if they would have turned it 180 degrees, they would not have had to create drain lines that a third grader could have assembled better. They could have not had to fight with the flue pipe and the liquid line. Most importantly, if these HACKS would have known they could have flipped the coil 180 degrees, they would have had enough room to install the expansion valve that needs to be installed with your system. Being there is no room to install the expansion valve with the flue in the way, I guess they just decided to forgo this little step. Honestly, I don’t even think they know one should be installed. Now you will get the luxury of having your system blow up in the first year.

I won’t even get into the “fine” woodwork they used on the job, or shear lack of skills to create a professional installation.

Factory Authorized Dealer with NATE technicians. I believe I will pass.

[Edited by madeinusa on 06-01-2005 at 03:30 AM]

galvonized on gas line? no new disconnect? NATE I thought wanted them hung not laid. Why is the vent capped? eh it's in, it works they're outta there!!!! How do ya get in the unit if ya need in it with the gas line in front of the door?

That's pretty sloppy work.

The unit lacks a platform for it to sit on. That emergency drain will have a hard time draining with it just sitting on the plywood.

I don't see a p-trap.

Secondary drain not tied in.

There should have been a transition built from the unit to the Aprilaire.

The PVC is not insulated and it looks like it got burned right as it leaves the unit...or they reused some of the old pieces.

There is mastic all over the place...on the filter door, plywood, back and top of the unit.

I don't see a float switch.

Get back to work.™

I don't see caps on the access ports at the condensing unit

I'd be embarrassed by that slop.
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    CFAD need to have 50% NATE techs,I've seen a lot worse installs,and don't find the need to comment on their NATE or lack of NATE certs.Nor does this job mean the NATE is good or bad,for the industry,those affraid of change will always ,be like this.

If you sell a certain brand ,are you "associated" with every install being done around the country?

Manufacturers try to raise the bar,NATE required,and get cheap shots taken at the program by a few disgrunteled ,naysayers,oh well that's life.

The excess mastic is not a problem,considering it's in the attic,how many have done an install in a >140° attic?

The service door may be able to be removed ,looks like gas line is several inches away,I can't tell from here.

The Aprilair,should have a transition to get the full use of the filter.

The flue might be able to be routed out the top,to avoid conflict,or reverse the coil as mentioned.

The TXv is very important,could it have been installed in the coil cabinet??

[Edited by dash on 06-01-2005 at 11:24 AM]

Dash, I agree with all you said here very tactful explaination, and your right there are many folks certified in many different fields that do sloppy work,"I don't find that job above sloppy maybe just a few things I might have done different" I have a mechanic friend that is a prime example of someone that knows how but will not go to the trouble of doing it neatly he is sloppy and got ever certification in the mechanic field known to man. What curious1 probably did not know when he posted the pictures is that God could do a a/c install and we a/c guys would find a problem with something
    you can bet, and I really have a issue with someone really critical I would like to be a fly on the rafter during all of their installs, like Dash siad it's a 140 degrees up there sometimes what do you that do the perfect installs wear a NASA cool suit piped with Gatorade?
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Pictures do not tell the whole story. It is easy to criticize an install without knowing the environment the installers were working in.
    There are a few things I would have done different and some things that I might have done different depending on what obstacles I encountered while doing the job.
    The NATE cert has nothing to do with the install. It's all about personal pride.

This is exactly why I would never get Nate certified, because we do not want to be associated with sorry workmanship and ignorant installs like this.
    I am NATE certified, and I don't want to be associated with an install like that, either. And, it stands to reason, that unless I personally executed an install like that, my name would not be associated with it, NATE or no NATE.

As for the install itself, seems to me a transition on both sides of the air handler would be called for. How much of that evap coil isn't getting airflow?

No TXV on this Infinity system? Smells like trouble ahead.

Is that copper feeding the galvanized pipe and flex? I know there's debate either way about using copper for nat. gas, but I'm just not crazy about running a gas line through an attic where it could get punctured in some way. Give me black pipe any day.

I'm taking it the yellow gas flex goes through the furnace cabinet.

This job is WOS material.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    That's a "N" coil,and the filler plate is supplied with it,appears to be installed per mfrs. instructions.It's designed to be used with the filler plate.

Not saying that a transition would not be better,but it's per mfrs. instructions.

[Edited by dash on 06-01-2005 at 09:13 PM]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast