Hybrid View

I have read a couple of references in this forum that stated that Trane: (1) previously recommended against using the XL16i in a zoned system but had since changed their mind, and (2) still recommends not using the XL16i in a zoned system.

Are there are any Trane experts here who can answer this? I am finalizing a new residential install for myself and would like the latest on whether or not the XL16i is a viable option for the zoned system.

Thanks

Any opinions out there?

nathan, I do remember our Trane rep saying that the XL16i should not be zoned. But I can't remember why, since then I have changed companies and now work for Carrier dealer. I do still see the Trane rep from time to time, I see what I can find for you.
    "If you can't fix it, don't break it."

Thanks, duct dr. I've got a call into my local Trane contractor and I assume he'll have an opinion. I appreciate any additional information you can provide. I must admit I do not know what the model has to do with zoning, but I'd like to learn.

Just one last attempt to understand how, or if, a particular model would be more or less appropriate in a zoned system.

Thanks

If it is zoned properly I don't see how the unit would know the difference. The only problem would be if the smaller zones required alot of air to be bypassed.

nathan, I think the problem exsists because of the single 2 stage compressor in the 16i. They were trying to resolve the problem, but that was put on hold while they gear up for the 13 SEER minimum that goes into effect next year. I know i've zoned a few XL19i's and some XL14i's, but no 16i's. I also zone a 5 Ton Heat Pump that had a split coil, meaning one air handler with two condensors. Talk about a nightmare of control wires.

I spoke with my local Trane dealer and he said he has not yet installed an XL16. He has zoned mostly with the XL19.

He also is not partial to R-410A which I originally wanted. This may also be a reason he hasn't been pushing the XL16. My dealer is honest when he tells me he just does not have much experience with R-410A equipment installations.

I have read doc holiday's reasoned essay on R-410A and I am leaning towards an R-410A product.

My dealer didn't know why the XL16 would not be okay for zoning and said he would talk to the Trane tech rep.

He did say he wasn't sure he would use a single stage compressor with a zoning system. His concern was that at a low enough fan speed there might be an icing problem.

So here I am. I still don't know if the XL16 would be a good choice for a zoned system.

I'am also open to a non Trane system but it seems few local contractors have any experience in zoning, though most I have talked to have a prejudice against it.

I'll be home tomorrow nathan, I'll call Trane and find out.

duct dr, you mentioned you had zoned with an XL19 (dual compressor) and an XL14 (single stage single compressor). Did the fact that you were doing a zoned system have any impact on your equipment recommendation? Did the zoned systems with different types of equipment change the resulting effectiveness of the system? Was there any differnce in the anticipated performance versus the actual results? And, was customers satisfaction different with XL19 and XL14? (I know the XL19 is quite a bit more expensive).

It does seem as though Trane has been a little slower than some of the other manufacturers (Carrier and Rheem to mention two) in adopting R-410A and scroll compressors, though that may not mean anything.

I have considered going to a 13 or 14 SEER system and letting a VS furnace provide some additional comfort. Doc Holiday had told me in a previous post that with our hot dry summers a 2 stage AC might not have the value when compared to a humid climate.

I appreciate your assistance.

nathan, where are you located? Maybe we should swap email addy's or phone numbers.

duct dr,

Bakersfield, CA
    nathanpetty@bakersfieldcpas.com
    work 661-334-2787

Thanks