Hi all,

Has anyone ever used a portable inside AC unit... the kind that sits on the floor with exhaust hoses that are vented out the window. I would like to know how they compare with an actual window unit when cooling a 10x15 room.

Thanks in advance,

gus

most of these units only have 1 hose. this means they use inside air to cool the condensor and then blow it outside through the hose. basically it is wasting the interior air which it has already cooled. they are also noisier than standard window units. also you must occasionally empty the condensate bucket. the only reason to use one is if you cant fit a normal window unit in your window.

Thanks craig1

Thanks craig1,

I think I'll go with a window unit based on your comments.

Best regards,

gus

There's a time & place to use these...but if you can fit a window shaker in, by all means do it. Efficiency on the spot coolers is poor at best, most will need their condensate tanks dumped somewhat frequently, and they're noisy.

All the newer freestanding units I have seen are ultra quiet and have 2 vent connections on them. They are just as quiet as a mini split system, fan and compressor on the last one I saw was very quiet. Wouldn't put a window shaker in, rather use a bucket of ice and a fan.

Thanks Black Adder

Thanks Black Adder,

I think I found a solution to my AC problem. I installed new air diffusers upstairs that really allow for increased air flow.... now my upstairs is much cooler than before.

Regards,

gus