Ummm, whats going on?
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Ummm, whats going on?

So we all know that fuel prices are sky rocketing.

So I have a question:

Lets say a gas station receives a shipment of fuel on Sunday night. Lets say the shipment is for 100,000 gals and the gas station owner posts the price @ 50/gal.(ya, I'm still living in 1970)

Now Monday morning rolls around and the stock market gets the Libyan jitters and the price per barrel goes up 1 dollar. so Mr Gas Station owner increases his price Monday afternoon to 75 citing increased cost per barrel. On Monday Mr Gas Station owner sells 10,000 gal. He now has 90K gallons left in the tank that he bought at 50/gal.

Tuesday rolls around and the stock market gets even more jittery about the conflict in Libya and the price per barrel goes up some more. So Mr Gas station owner increase his price at the pump to $1 per gallon. Yet the gas in the tank was bought at 50 and is still at 50. On Tuesday Mr GSO sells another 10K gal

Wednesday rolls around and a bird poops on an oil tank in Libya and the price of a barrel goes up again. So Mr GSO raises his price again, on the same gas he bought at 50 three days ago?

anyone see what I'm getting at here? The gas in the tank is still at 50/gal, yet Mr Gas station owner raises his price on a Fantasy

Gas station owners are crying they are going broke, they only make a couple pennies per gal...........BS

some one is getting rich while the rest of us are going broke this is crap
    BEING AN ADULT

is the dumbest thing I have ever done

Yet people still pay $1.50 for a 16oz bottle of water.

Quote Originally Posted by Stamas View Post
    Yet people still pay $1.50 for a 16oz bottle of water.
    the point being the price remains stable. The price doesn't increase on a whim every 6 hours
    BEING AN ADULT

Your paying for the fuel to replace the fuel in the tank, not the fuel in the tank.

Gasoline and diesel is bought in lots. Normally the stations are about two weeks ahead of you buying the fuel in the tank. This is why the fuel price jumps so quickly.

Gas stations don't make a bunch of money on fuel, this is why 90% of all gas stations sell beer, cigarettes and snacks....

Truth is, the government makes as much money off of fuel sales as the stations.... In case you think I am FOS... http://www.gaspricewatch.com/usgastaxes.asp

GT
    If a day goes by and you have learned nothing, I hope you got a lot of sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by GT Jets View Post
    Your paying for the fuel to replace the fuel in the tank, not the fuel in the tank.

Gasoline and diesel is bought in lots. Normally the stations are about two weeks ahead of you buying the fuel in the tank. This is why the fuel price jumps so quickly.

Gas stations don't make a bunch of money on fuel, this is why 90% of all gas stations sell beer, cigarettes and snacks....

Truth is, the government makes as much money off of fuel sales as the stations.... In case you think I am FOS... http://www.gaspricewatch.com/usgastaxes.asp

GT
    that would only be true if the Gas station got a shipment everyday. but they don't
    BEING AN ADULT

Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    that would only be true if the Gas station got a shipment everyday. but they don't
    Trust me on this, I have worked at a service station (back when they called them service stations), stations aren't who's making the big money....The refinery owners are.

Otherwise you would see a whole lot more stations owned by big oil....

There are only two oil company owned stations in my neighborhood, one BP and one Chevron. All others are franchised or private.

By the station raising prices by a dime, they don't stand to make too much more profit because there are normally stations on three of four corners due to zoning limitations...

GT
    If a day goes by and you have learned nothing, I hope you got a lot of sleep.

Gas is going up now. But the station owners claim they get hammered when it goes down. And no those folks aren't doing well. The money's all flowing to the upper parts of the ladder. But all we can see is the $$$$ signs at the station, rather than the real greed.

Last edited by cjpwalker; 03-04-2011 at 09:53 PM. Reason: beat me to it.

your assumption is that gas price will drop as fast as they went up, they won't.

Im sure the GSO will survive
    BEING AN ADULT

They did a couple of years ago... went from over $4.00 to 1.50 in just a few weeks. It didn't last long, but it sure took me back to the old days...

More idiots need to buy diesel vehicles so I don't have to pay $3.79 a gallon for diesel which costs less to produce than gas. 34gallons a week is eating my wallet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

maybe I'll switch to Natural gas
    BEING AN ADULT

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroTolerance View Post
    More idiots need to buy diesel vehicles so I don't have to pay $3.79 a gallon for diesel which costs less to produce than gas. 34gallons a week is eating my wallet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sorry, can't afford the fuel or the $100 oil changes, or repairs: $600 water pump, $1200 clutch, 1500 watt block heater so I can drive it in the winter, etc...

Granted they do sound cool, and will haul heavy things up big hills quickly. But honestly I also can't afford heavy things to haul quickly up hills right now.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast