Hybrid View

Hey folks, I need to install a 3 ton and 2.5 ton furnace in my attic. I have had 4 different companies come out and give me estimates and 2 say to go with variable speed and the other 2 say that the units are too small to get the benefits of variable speed units. I live in Houston with a humid environment. The extra cost of variable speed over single speed is roughly $750.00/unit. Any thoughts on this?

IMO-I like the VS units myself for comfort and effiencies(dont understand the "too small issue"), will not comment on the $$,its against the site rules......

Hard to go wrong with VS blowers.

Doens't matter what size the equipment is, VS will help to reduce the humidity.

Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Variable speed is great for dehumidifing,IF you get the right controls.

Carrier Infinity is tops ,but regardless of brand ,look at how the fan will be controled to dehumidify in the cooling mode.

danger is offline Professional Member - bad email t member
    Variable speed is the way to go for dehumidification. The ONLY drawback is the cost of replace a v/s motor. However, if you maintain these units as you should, they should last for years. I personally would go with V/Speed. Alot of the companies are also setting these systems so that you can use them as air purifiers when set up properly with filtering media.

How can I adjust the speed of the VS Motor, do I use the Dip switches ?

Variable speed is the way to go. Yes dehumidification is great but also there is no cold starts in heat mode either. Trane VS units have a 50% setting for constant blower mode which is good for air treatment. I used to say that the motors are to expencive to repair but now they come in parts and are more affordable. Also I can't remember the last time I had a repair on one. That may be because good duct design practices in this area they have improved greatly. I just don't know.

Thanks & one more question

Thanks for the information, it looks like you guys have sold me on the VS furnace. Setup sounds critical so I will definitly read the manual first prior to the installer leaving to make sure he has set it up correctly. Also, another question. I have Trane compressors outside. I am being told that American Standard and Trane are one and the same and it will be OK to put in American Standard furnaces. Are they truly the same other than the name? It sure appears by the product brochures that they are.

Originally posted by dash
    Variable speed is great for dehumidifing IF you get the right controls.
    From what I've seen most if not all OEMs have a dehumidification feature built into their VS furnaces that ramps the blower up in stages. How does Infinity build on that?

Trane and American Standard are the same company, just diffrent name on the unit, and diffrent looks on the outdoor unit.