Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why ducting on floor of to be finished attic?

Post Likes

Confused

Today I noticed that some just installed AC ducting in attic is on the floor of our soon to be finished attic. The other ducts have been run overhead, i.e will be out of the way, above the ceiling, when the attic is finished. These ducts on the floor will cool my office on the 2nd floor of our under-construction (modular)house.

The office will have its own zone, remainder of the upstairs (4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms)on 2nd zone.

Why would they run those ducts on the floor when they know we intend to finish the space? Could they have run them up (what will be) above the ceiling?

Our builder's project manager prefers that we do not talk directly to the subcontractors so I do not know if I will be able to ask the HVAC contactor this question before I talk to the builder in a few days. The one meeting we had with the HVAC contractor was great.

Air handler in the attic is Carrier model FK4DNB006000AAAA. I think we are getting a Carrier Performance 13, which with the more expensive 3 speed air handler will give us a SEER of 15. Opted for a 4 ton unit so that we can duct and cool the attic when we finish it.

[Edited by whynot on 05-30-2005 at 11:08 AM]

Post Likes
    Looks to me like you are going to get a window seat the length of that wall. The flex system looks very poorly installed with alot of airflow problems. When you put a new roof on and they use longer nails what do you think will happen to that flex.

Post Likes
    sorry if this is rude but that looks terrible. total lack of quality.did they have monkeys do the duct work ?

Post Likes
    that flex looks to be a larger diameter than the rafter is deep. will get crushed somewhat when the ceiling goes up. Its probalby already full of holes from either nails or staples anyway.

Also, looks like somebody likes to run flex instead of spend a little time and run rigid.

I am not trying to be critical of someones work, but I would call the construction manager and "86" this HVAC Contractor right now; no pride in work that i can see and appears destined for problems.

By the way, thats a 5 ton Fan Coil unit in the attic.

my $.05 worth.

Regards

[Edited by biscuitnt on 05-30-2005 at 12:13 AM]

Post Likes

Arrow

Maybe you'd better tell them to take that duct out and put you a window unit in.

Or tell the project manager to get with the HVAC contractor and figure out how to get from there to there without taking up your floor space.

Post Likes

Monkeys Definitely !

Originally posted by centralflinstaller
    sorry if this is rude but that looks terrible. total lack of quality. did they have monkeys do the duct work ?
    INSANITY Redefined ! !!

Discuss Ductless mini-split (i.e. Mitsubishi Mr. Slim or Sanyo) and removing ALL the pictured duct with G.C.

http://www.mrslim.com/Products/Categ...ctCategoryID=7

If he does not listen and ACT to meet ALL your expectations, It is time STOP ALL WORK and call your lawyer.

Much Better to STOP NOW
    than proceed down the path to Hell.

It appears that ... Most 4 year-olds KNOW Better! !!

Professionally speaking, of course.
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    do the house drawings state the attic is to be finished?
    does the gen contractor know this?
    what is your contractual agreement?

Post Likes
    Look at the way the metal brakets are colasping the flex, now picture what the drywall will do.

Your air system needs to be redesigned NOW!

Get with your GC ASAP, don't delay.

Post Likes
    yet ANOTHER wonderful flex system. never ceases to amaze me. screw the homeowner.... do it as cheap as possible with the cheapest labor available. who cares if it works. f the customer. HOOORAY for me. we got paid.

sorry to say.... stop it now and call your attorney. it's probably gonna get ugly.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Post Likes
    Just to extend on my earlier reply, As others have stated, you need to stop work now.

You stated the remainder of the upstairs would consist of 4 bedrooms and two baths, I must assume you will have a substantial investment in this home; As a result , you have to get with you GC and demand a certain degree of quality.

If he is going the cheap route to this degree on your "comfort systems" , I have to wonder about the rest.

Just my advice that you really need to have a "sit-down" with him immediately.

Regards and good luck,

David Graves

Post Likes
    A good example of a poorly thought-out system for a two story modular home, but not unusual as most modular homes leave allot to be desired from the manufacture when it comes to second story heat and cool.

Post Likes
    print this thread and show it to the GC. this is what people in the trade think of the work going on here. it's deplorable. if he has any scruples he will address your problems. good luck..you're gonna need it.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Post Likes

A Homeowners response

The people that do HVAC for a living summed it up in short order. Poor poor quality, craftsmanship, and workmanship. You will have MANY MANY problems. The time to do something is NOW ASAP. My advice is to ADDRESS it and don't let it slide. Raise "H" if the request to make it right does not happen. I would also QUESTION the rest of the job if this part was so sadly installed!! I would have a long talk with the company who sent the monkeys out/talk to the local inspectors/hire someone to oversee the job/and/or fire as appropriate. Hire a lawyer, watch out for mechanics liens but stand up.

How do I know? My cape cod has a bonus room off the garage that looks similiar to what your pictures depict. Currently in Georgia BUILDERS are not licensed. HVAC, electrical, and plumbers have to be but not builders. My builder tried to take short cuts on me. I admit some got past us since we "trusted" the dirt bag. It took years and years of re-doing what this )expletive deleted( slob allowed to happen on our house. This included the HVAC system. Twice the work, twice the pain, and triple the cost of not doing it right the first time!! Besides the fact we could not use our home in comfort or even peace of mind.

So, get it fixed, get it right, and do it your satisfaction. You are very lucky in this day and age where you can post to a board where professionals are willing to give up their time to try and make the industry they are in better for people like us.

Best of luck and you WILL PREVAIL if you move on this!!

Post Likes
    Sure hope you have a mechanical inspection before any of that gets covered. Believe your on the IRC there. The flex, per mfg. installation instructions is to be supported every 4'. Its also to be 1 1/2" wide on the supports. Now wwhen its in the rafter span roofing nails WILL penetrate the vapor barrier. Its already crushing the flex where the drive cleats are being used as supports. Can't read the R Value on it in the pic but my IRC says that in the rafter span it needs to be a minimum of R-8. As far as runing across the floor it does look like a window seat was planned. If not have em move it. Get it inspected, sit down with the builder, but by all means call your attorney for advise before hand.
    Vern P: 2003 MBC,MRC,IFGC,IFC
    An HVAC-Talk Michigan Chapter Mechanical Inspector, Jurisdiction-Ann Arbor

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    There's likely no other way to run the ducts,without dropping the ceiling,or going across the floor.the builder may have insisted it be run in this manor.

Without knowing a Man J and D was done,it could be okay.

The flex will not get depressed that much by drwll,but it's a very hot spot to run it.I'd ask to to see hat can be done to improve it.

Post Likes
    Looks like they knocked out a few of the knee wall studs. Those are structural and the wall may need some more framing added to allow for the missind studs.

Do those ducts run all the way across the floor to other side of house ordo they drop through in the middle? If they go all the way across they MIGHT be able to run between floor joists. Can't run two in one space though, so if they both feed down won't happen.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Post Likes
    Hmmm, looks like floor joists run perpendicular to the duct travel, thus, cant run between them. If no other way, I think I would prefer a furr-down equally spaced in the room for each of hte ducts, there is some room in the peak, where the ceiling will be flat.

Personal preference, I would insist on elimination of all the flex. Just my opinion of flex.

Regards

David Graves

Post Likes
    Originally posted by dash
    There's likely no other way to run the ducts,without dropping the ceiling,or going across the floor.the builder may have insisted it be run in this manor.

Without knowing a Man J and D was done,it could be okay.

The flex will not get depressed that much by drwll,but it's a very hot spot to run it.I'd ask to to see hat can be done to improve it.
    I am surprized in the fact that this is all you have to say about this system Dash. Even if there was no other way to run them look at the flex in the bottom picture that takes off to the left and tell me that looks OK. On both sides the sheeting on the roof could have been cut and both flex ducts run tight against the wall rather than the way its done now.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    Do you mean the flex elbow to the left or what looks unsuported running over it?

Maybe I was to easy on this one,but really just trying to say the builder often refuses space ,and the HVAC guy gets the blame.

We know we have VS air handler,but we don't know the sizes needed,or the lengths of any of the runs.

Try to talk with both of them to improve the job!

Post Likes
    Looks like a flex P Trap to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in