Thread: zoning question

i am building a new 3 story home in west central alabama. the hvac guy tells me to put in 3 units (trane) i want to zone but he recomends the 3 seperate units. i have my living room opens to the second story. my question in general is, does he just want to sell me the 3 units or is zoning not a good option for me.

Question It' s Always in the details

Depends ...
    .. Square Footage _____
    .. Duct work _____

.. Try 2 systesm ____ ?

Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

yeah i know, sq ft is about 1700 in basement, 1700 on main floor, and about 800 on second floor. as far as duct work i am not sure, i am really a newbie when it comes to this. there is more windows on the back side of house with points to the south west. i will also have a theater room with more equipment in it in the basement 12x25 room. my living room is a 18x20 witch will be open to the second floor. thanks

Question Zoning Selection

Originally posted by slowboy
    yeah i know, sq ft is about 1700 in basement, 1700 on main floor, and about 800 on second floor. more windows on the back side of house with points to the south west.

a theater room with more equipment in it in the basement 12 x 25 room.

my living room is a 18x20 ... open to the second floor.
    Two Systems Candidate! 4,200 Square Feet Total

5.0-Ton, 2 or 3 zone A/C system should work for total of 2,500 Sq. Ft. for m o s t residences in Alabama.

You may wish to zone the main floor in 2 sections depending on the functional areas.

SMALL ( <= 2.5 ton) Trane XL16i unit with Variable Speed AHU for the basement may be antiicpated ... ??
    Does the basement have a significant cooling load due to the structure itself?
    .. Other than the A/V equipment (load To Be provided by THE Electrical engineer) and ~8 person load.

... Seems like Humdity Control may be the larger issue.

More ????'s are raised by Ill-Defined Loading than can be Reasonably answered here to-date.

You may wish to envision and outline the HVAC requirements with a ~$20K ( or other) overall New Construction budget in mind.

A. 3 systems versus
    B. 2 systems with 3 zones
    will likely be about the same price (or even more for B).

______ Controls themselves are NOT Cheap
    nor the labor to install and set-up.

Most of my zoning .. is By Equipment, so to speak
    as your TRANE Dealer has initially recommended.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

a contractor who knows zoning will recommend zoning a contractor who does not will not.
    3 airconditioners = high electric bills.
    i would zone 2 st floor and 3nd floor and use ac for for 1 st floor.

Originally posted by airworx
    a contractor who knows zoning will recommend zoning a contractor who does not will not.
    3 airconditioners = high electric bills.
    i would zone 2 st floor and 3nd floor and use ac for for 1 st floor.
    I do both but don't agree with the statement that 3 A/C units will cost more to run than one zoned system. With 3 systems sized for the load and ducts to match they will deliver the air more eff. than a zoned system that is not sized for each zone and will usually end up having to bypass air in order to satisfy the smaller zone that is calling.

thanks for the input, i guess i will go with the installers opinion and go with the 3 units he is the so called expert anyways, i guess. he said i will need a 3.5 ton on main level, a 2.5 ton upstairs and a 2.5 ton in basement with viriable speed air handlers. all in all about $23000.00 worth of hvac equipment plus installation

all the units will be the 14 seer

Question XL 16 vs XL 14

Originally posted by slowboy
    he said i will need a 3.5 ton on main level, a 2.5 ton upstairs and a 2.5 ton in basement with variable speed air handlers. all in all about $23000.00 worth of hvac equipment plus installation. all the units will be the 14 seer
    Review XL16i pricing.
    ... Project pricing Maybe quite close to existing quote.
    Designer Dan