Thread: Anyone have a good recommendation for some gloves?

Post Likes
    For the last few summers... my hands have been breaking out with something(sorta like water blisters). I think I've narrowed it down to an allergy to oil. Seems to happen after I've gotten a good coating of either mineral oil or POE oil. It might even be old insulation though.

Either way.... I'd like to get some gloves to start protecting my hands. Anyone know of some good gloves to use?

By the way... does anyone else go through this?

Post Likes
    Dont know the bgrand but I knew a plumber that became alergic to the glue an solvent for pvc pipe. He started useing the plasic gloves like a doctor or vet uses. solved his problem and I dont think they are that expensive. he bought them by the case.

Post Likes
    arghhh why didn't I think of that.
    We have boxes of those gloves at the shop for the guys
    insulating the square duct.

Thanks Dec

Post Likes
    Oh by the way I just thought about it . I use to buy cheap rubber gloves at walmart for putting in the floresent die in refrigerant lines that leak, That stuff was nasty and would get on about everything......lol. It seemed like you could be as careful as you could and then shine the black light on you and find floresent green on everything. Being they say that stuff causes cance in rats I thought I should be as careful as possible being I have been catagorize in that specicies more then once. The gloves worked great tho and by buying them at walmart , its probably about as cheap as you will get them. They are for washing dishes, in the dish soap department.

[Edited by dec on 05-30-2005 at 12:02 AM]

Post Likes
    Thanks for the tips.

I'll grab me some of those too.

Least if I lose em (like I'm prone to do) I wont' be losing alot of money on em.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by dec
    He started useing the plasic gloves like a doctor or vet uses.
    Be careful, alot of medical professionals are now allergic to latex because they have to wear gloves all the time.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

Post Likes
    By the way, POE oil sucks up moisture so rapidly that it will suck the moisture out of your skin causing burnlike conditions. Always have hand wash and clean rags available when working with POE oils.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    they make non latex gloves for those people who are allergic
    i wanted to put a picture here

Post Likes
    Don't know if it will help in your situation, but craftsman has some nice work gloves with led lights on the index fingers. Great for working on circuit board swaps in dark areas.

Post Likes
    Thanks for all the advice.

I grabbed a big handfull of gloves from the shop this morning and give it a try. These are the non-latex rubber gloves. Basicly hospital gloves.

On the good side.
    I can reach in my pocket for the all elusive 1/4" driver head
    My hands have never been so clean after a long days work.
    They kept all the refrigeration oil, liquid leak detector, condenser coil cleaner, and turbine oil off my hands today.
    I didnt' realize all the chemicals I've been soaking my hands in all this time.

On the down side.
    I've gotta learn how to remove 5/16 screws with them on.
    The finger tip got spun up onto the driver head. Kinda hurt.
    Of course they are not as durable as the gloves you wash dishes with. But I think the advantage of being able to work with small parts makes the hospital gloves a better choice. I'll end up getting both though in the end. I can see where some applications, the rubber gloves for washing dishes would be better since they are more durable.
    hmmmm I'm a bit wishy washy on this one aint I hehe
    The only other downside so far is sweaty hands. When I take the gloves off, they are soaked since the sweat had nowhere to go. Its no big deal though.

One more to add to the good side.
    My hands are not irritated and burning now.
    So its well worth it.

Post Likes
    Would some of that invisible glove stuff work? I've used it a few times, it's basically some lotion kinda stuff that you rub into your hands (and arms if needed), keeps grease and gunk off them pretty good, wash with soap and water and it comes off too...

Post Likes
    Never heard of that before.

From what I seen on the gloves I've been throwing away today though... I think I'll stick with the gloves

Post Likes
    Wonder gloves! I had been getting free samples in the mail for years. I threw them into the shop as they looked like something I would only wear while handling sheet metal. One day on a system replacement I wore them. That same day I ordered 40 pair. They are amazing. They cling tightly to the hands, fit tightly around the wrists and you can pick up 1/4 x 8 screws without a problem. Just today I was replacing an evap coil and had been wearing them the entire time. I took them off long enough to make a phone call or something and forgot to put them back on and sliced a finger on a sharp inside edge on the vertical drain pan. I keep a pair in my condensate fitting tray. I ALWAYS wear them when making up fittings. You should see the PVC cement they accumulate. Anyway, they are worth a try at around a buck a pair. Have to order them online though. They definately have my endorsement now! Of course nitrile when working with oil. http://www.wondergloves.com/prod01WG.htm
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in