I'm getting ready to have my present 13 year old 3 ton AC unit and airhandler replaced. The outside unit is located near a screened porch and there is no suitable area to relocate it to(patio home...very small lot). I live in central South Carolina so the cooling season is 6 months long with pretty high humidity.

Assuming that I will need a 3 ton unit(my patio home is 1750 s.f. and the exact same plan as 30 others built by the same reputable builder...they all have 3 ton units)what might be good choices for reducing the noise level. Ive heard that some of the very high end equipment has sound levels as low as 67-69 db. Unfortunately, my budget can't accomodate the price of these very high end units.

Looking for a compromise between absolute lowest sound level and moderate price. I've got a sound blanket on my present Heil unit that hushes the compressor somewhat but the fan noise predominates. I'm not looking to get the absolute cheapest price unit. I'd be willing to spend up to twice what the lesser expensive condensing units cost to lower the outside unit's nosie level to say 72 db or so.

Thanks,

Roadking321

Check out the York Affinity 2 S series.

They're quit, higher end, r22 units. So they're not as expensive as the 3 S, or 8 T r410a units.

The york Stealth is not as quit, but close, and you can get it in 2 stage, for alittle more then the r410a 3 S single stage.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Lennox

Lennox go with a Lennox for quiet operation.
    Too Old to be doing this

American Standard/Allegiance 13.0
    2A7A3036A1000A-74DB

York Affinity 12.0/13.0 36,000 72db

Goodman-13.0 Has lifetime warranty compressor/825rpm motor.
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

Some of the York Affinity's are now down to 6.5 bels
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

lennox hs26 or hs27 pretty quiet r-22
    xc-21 r-410 very quiet high end price

Quiet

XL15 i is the Quietest of the ' MID Range ' TRANE condensers.

http://www.trane.com/Residential/Pro...ers/XL15i.aspx
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Thanks to those of you who replied with recommendations.

Haven't heard any responses regarding ICP, Rheem/Rudd or Carrier/Bryant equipment recommendations. Any of you out there have any knowledge of mid priced models of these brands that would be quiet?

Re: Quiet

Originally posted by dan sw fl
    XL15 i is the Quietest of the ' MID Range ' TRANE condensers.

http://www.trane.com/Residential/Pro...ers/XL15i.aspx
    Not that I can really tell the difference, but the York's 65 decibels is 10% quieter then that Trane.

When it comes to using your name in advertizing, Trane doesn't fare out well with the sound issue. It may be "hard to stop a train" but "you sure can hear a train coming."

The slope top Tempstar units can be as low as 6.8 on low fan. That would be the quietest 10 SEER you can get. Rheem/Ruud units aren't bad but not that quiet. Only the higher end Bryant/Carrier units with comp blankets would approach the quiet end of things.

I'm with my Tequilla drinking buddy, I still haven't heard a Choo Choo near as quiet as the Lennox high end, York Affinity or the Carrier Silencers.

Even at that, I myself cannot really tell the difference with many of the higher end units today. I installed a Goodman CPLT24 heat pump on the porch of my parents condo. At 72 decibels it is not bad at all sitting right next to it. There is only a sliding glass door between it and my parents TV and it does not interfere with hearing the TV when it is on.