hey guys, did about a half dozen condenser coil cleanings and about the same ice machine cleanings this past week and paying for it this weekend.....standard calgon and manitowac cleaner used according to specs...used a dust mask and bandana and face shield on the condensers...question is what, do you guys use to keep from having this crap get into the nose and mouth...short of scuba gear.

Go talk with Grainer's tech support reg personal protective gear!

They sell masks which will protect you against such harsh chemicals.

Most here will simply say use safety glasses and maybe, ocassionally ... once in a great while ... rubber gloves.

I have only worked for one outfit which understood the need for personal protective gear.
    The rest balked every time I bought on account something which provided me with safety.

And some have even said they dont provide safety gear AT ALL!!!

Many here are not sensetive to many of the chemicals we use in the field.
    Bully for them!

But for the people who are sensetive ... you need to take care of yourself, since nobody else is going to do it for you!

You see... i have this problem. I operate under the assumption that commercial service mechanics are of the cream of the crop of electro-mechanical service techs, the world over!
    I think we are above average in everything.

And it pops my bubble every single time I hear a story about some poor Joe who tries to do the right thing but ends up losing out due to some administrator or boss who thinks he knows better.
    (when in reality, he is just trying to save a dollar over the safety of his personell)

Go online, visit WW Graingers and see what they have for chemical masks. Something to use while breathing that stuff as well as mixing it up to use.

i appreciate the getback....just joined this high paced operation and enjoy the guys and boss...mandatory safety meeting once a month and only attended one and was not impressed, BS session at best....first week we were putting 7- 3 ton roof mount CU's and removing old ones with a wore out genie lift with extensions....could've been up and away in an hour with a sign truck or crane, as it was it wore out 4 techs for the day.....granted, I'm probilly more prone to the allergic reaction than the younger bucks, but also know that this stuff is just part of the day to day in the trade....was my diagnosis and cure for the aliment of the units done....just sucks being laid up, coughing, sneezing and hurting cause I did the right thing for the cause for the weekend and probally on into next week....will push for the masks or pass it(the cleaning) onto the ones that don't know any better.

Originally posted by boogerdogone
    hey guys, did about a half dozen condenser coil cleanings and about the same ice machine cleanings this past week and paying for it this weekend.....standard calgon and manitowac cleaner used according to specs...used a dust mask and bandana and face shield on the condensers...question is what, do you guys use to keep from having this crap get into the nose and mouth...short of scuba gear.
    You might ask to read the material data safety sheets that are supposed to be given to anyone using chemicals for cleaning. Might be some info for you as ammunition.

Forget OSHA, after you sign a complaint, your name is public record after about 10 days. At least that's the way it was a while back.

What you do now will affect you the rest of your life. Ask anyone with a bad back or a coal miner.

MikeJ, wasn't planning on filing any complaint with OSHA or anyone else and I have the MSDS sheets on the cleaners, standard stuff in this industry....I going to ask the shop today what safety equipment such as masks they have available and if they don't I will get my own and pay for it out of pocket, no problem, just like any other tool I decide to buy personally. I was jsut curious as to what some of you who are sensitive to this stuff like I am use.

Funny, I used HOSI cleaner for years and never had a reaction to it....something in the Manitowac and coil cleaner definitely bit me in the ass...can be assured, I will be hazmat ready for next encounter.

You might want to forgo wrapping anything absorbent around your face hen using that stuff.

The vapors are bad, from both types of cleaners, but I have never had an adverse reaction to any of our chemicals, except for that neat burning feeling...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by R12rules
    [B]Go talk with Grainer's tech support reg personal protective gear!

"I have only worked for one outfit which understood the need for personal protective gear.
    The rest balked every time I bought on account something which provided me with safety.

And some have even said they dont provide safety gear AT ALL!!!"

R12-- I hear you,one of the best(HVAC) mechanics, my outfit hired was available because his previous employer refused to buy the proper personal protection gear while doing chemicals. However, the boss had no problem buying the welders everything they needed. The guy was told after he quit "come back I will buy the gloves".
    The contractor lost the services of a very good mechanic simply because he was too STUPID!! to buy a pair of gloves.