Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks for all your inputs.

I have to use Honeywell VAV Spyder, which has a floating actuator. I have problems in controlling the VAV damper, if I use PID percentage output to the damper position when programming the spyders. I was trying to use "Flow Control" in Honeywell Spyder tool kit, do I need to add a sensor to sense the airflow at the outlet of the VAV?

Quote Originally Posted by leoxxl View Post
    Thanks for all your inputs.

I have to use Honeywell VAV Spyder, which has a floating actuator. I have problems in controlling the VAV damper, if I use PID percentage output to the damper position when programming the spyders. I was trying to use "Flow Control" in Honeywell Spyder tool kit, do I need to add a sensor to sense the airflow at the outlet of the VAV?

The pitot typically gets installed "before" the damper (for reasons of turbulent free flow), but yes, that is the only way it will "know" the airflow.

And BTW, the integral actuator is an option

Floating will work great, but like I keep saying, the programming needs to be dead nuts.

Good luck!

GT
    If a day goes by and you have learned nothing, I hope you got a lot of sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by GT Jets View Post
    The pitot typically gets installed "before" the damper (for reasons of turbulent free flow), but yes, that is the only way it will "know" the airflow.

And BTW, the integral actuator is an option

Floating will work great, but like I keep saying, the programming needs to be dead nuts.

Good luck!

GT
    Thanks GT

The floating actuator is integrated in the Honeywell VAV controller.

They are all stepper motors, does it really matter if I say run for 4 seconds or open 4% more? They all go to the nearest step in the motor. That's why the high quality boxes are air driven, no steps, pure linear. The reason the analog cost a little more than the position type is because of the A/D conversion, it's still the same motor. The position adjust type can get a little lost overtime, but most will recalculate and recount the stroke on a time based interval. In reality, even if the position is off a little, the PI will adjust it more open or closed to satisfy the load.

I agree with mechdorn, I've got 2 JCI valves, one floating and the other 4-20v proportional. Same motor, down to ever letter and number printed on the tiny thing. Two different boards hooked up to them. What piece of equipment do you want to do the signal processing? JCIs VMA-1610 and 1620 damper motors by default go through a calibration cycle at set intervals. Same with the Honeywell ML6984 valve if hooked up for 5 wire operation.

Derb
    If you don't notice, I'm doing my job.

Quote Originally Posted by derb View Post
    I agree with mechdorn, I've got 2 JCI valves, one floating and the other 4-20v proportional. Same motor, down to ever letter and number printed on the tiny thing. Two different boards hooked up to them. What piece of equipment do you want to do the signal processing? JCIs VMA-1610 and 1620 damper motors by default go through a calibration cycle at set intervals. Same with the Honeywell ML6984 valve if hooked up for 5 wire operation.

Derb
    Holy smokes, finally, somebody here agrees with me about anything. Derb is my new BF. Hey Derb, how"s the weather out there in sunny California? I got a bad case of cabin fever here in Pa. I need to get out there with you guys. Me, you, Crabby and the mountain lion should get together for a fishing outing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12