Greetings Everyone...

Just a quick note to say hello. My name's Christopher and I've been lurking around here for a few days. I'm currently a student at North East State Community College in Blountville, Tennessee, learning the refrigeration trade.

I've only got about 8 more weeks before they throw me in the deep end, but if I can figure out where to put it (and if it's appropriate) I might start a thread about my experiences so far, maybe help some of those folks who are like me, just getting started, to keep from making some of the same mistakes I have (i.e. giving the instructor a face full of phosgene gas (Sorry Rick!) while taking out a 4-way reversing valve).

At any rate, hope you're all well,
    Christopher

Welcome to the board.

welcome, you are at the appropriate forum to start said thread.

did you learn anything from the phosgene incident, better yet did your instructor
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Welcome Christopher,

Good luck as you finish school and move into the field.

The statement below is my signature and just my overall feeling towards our industry and does not necessarily pertain to you nor this thread.

There really isn't a legitimate excuse for not doing the job correctly!

Thanks...

for all the kind thoughts. I appreciate it. I'll have to go back over my notes and see if there are some more memorable experiences.

As far as the "phosgene incident" lol, there was just a small puff, and then it was over. The system had been recovered by the prior night's class, so I would imagine that the residual R22 must have come out of it's hiding places during the night. I've heard stories though of students filling up the lab with the stuff.

The words "Trust, but verify" keep coming to mind though. Before I started trying to remove the reversing valve, we put a gauge to the unit, and it was reading around 24 inches mercury.

But at any rate, it's spring break next week, so I'll have some time to think about it. Thanks again everyone. Hope you're all well,

Christopher