GRRR!!

Thread: GRRR!!

I had a customer yell at me because his air conditioner will not come on when its below 12c (low ambient switch)

He said whats the point of having an air conditioner then!

Anyways I kinda wanna go rip out his low ambient and have him sign a waiver that theres no warranty!

oh well thanks for listening

Is it a commercial application? Lots of people and office equipment? He may need the air conditioning, even in very low ambient conditions.
    If its residential, is it a media room, or something else with very high internal heat gain?

Give him a price for installing a low ambient head pressure control, evaperator defrost control, and wind breaks around the condensor. Some units may also require a hard start kit for low ambient operation, even with scroll compressors. Definatly install a crankcase heater if there isn't already one in place.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Its residential

All the same controls can be applied to residential systems if the owner just insists on cooling the place in low ambient conditions....

I recently added a full load of controls and a windbreak to a system serving an in home theater. With no AC, temps would climb into the 90's in there with all the electronics going, even on cold days.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Just curious, I never had to deal with home with a media room. How would you calculate the heat gain of all the electronic equipment.

Originally posted by rycon
    Just curious, I never had to deal with home with a media room. How would you calculate the heat gain of all the electronic equipment.
    Add up the total wattage output of the equipment, and then determine your total BTU’s required to handle the wattage.

Then perform a Manual J on the structure and input the BTU’s required to cool the electronics.

Frown

Thanks,MadeinUSA, I really feel stupid for not knowning better.

I'm not sure if the consumer-grade audiovisual equipment lists it, but most industrial-grade A/V equipment has BTU output in their specs. Industrail amplifiers usually will list BTU output at idle and at 100% (white noise). A normal listener won't go much past 50%. I'll use wattage as a last resort, because it almost always overestimates it. If you have the luxury of time, measure the actual amp (wattage) draw of the equipment as it would be used. The amps printed on the nameplate on the equipment are usually absolute maximums with some safety factor involved. While more common on commercial jobs, don't forget transformers. I have one site with a 10kva transformer in the same room as the equipment. Major idle heat load from the transformer, even higher heat load with the equipment running.