Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    I recently had a new system installed at my residence. Found out that the person who installed the unit was not licensed. The owner of the company said that the installer did not need to be licensed ( company carries license - not the individual ).

Is this correct?

Cool

what licenseu think he needs all he needs is EPA license for refrigerant and onlyt a type 2 what u want him to have

If the person installed the system for you as a side-line job. He DOES need a TACL license.If he installed it for the company were he works,then he does not need a TACL license,but does need to be EPA certified to handle refrigerants...
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

The reason I am asking is because I had a new system installed and the guy did a horrible job. It is an accountability issue. In the state of texas you need to be licensed to sell real estate, even a barber needs to have a license. But I guess you don't need to be licensed to come into someones home, half way install a system, and expect to get paid.

What did they install incorrectly on your job?

What brand equipment was put in?

The company was going to install a second air return in my living room. The wall that they cut the hole in was an exterior wall of my home. So now I have a big hole in my wall - no air return. The crew has been working on it now for about 24 hours, they spent 6 hours installing the outside unit. I had a concrete pad prepared for the new unit, all they had to do was set it on the pad and hook it up. The secondary pan / over-flow pan is full of water. There are two drain lines off of the evaporator, but water is dripping out of every crevis of the evaporator. I had a system that was working, granted it was at the end of its life cycle, but I wish I still had my old unit.

The new system was supposed to be a Ruud. He installed a Ruud unit outside and on the inside ( I guess to save money )he installed an Allstyle air handler/evaporator.

How many bids did you get get, did you ask for references.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

If your contract stated Ruud equipment, then tell them you want Ruud and not the Allstyle. It’s their problem not yours. Make them correct it.

On the hole in the outside wall for adding a return, I am not following you exactly here. Do you not have attic space to cut in a hole in the ceiling?

The wall were they were going to put the return did have some attic space, they just didn't look to see what was on the other side of the wall.

I had numerous estimates on the job ( no..it wasn't the lowest bid ).

The owner of the company had been to our house on several occasions throughout the years to work on our a/c.

Is Allstyle cheap stuff?

Originally posted by quantum1
    I recently had a new system installed at my residence. Found out that the person who installed the unit was not licensed. The owner of the company said that the installer did not need to be licensed ( company carries license - not the individual ).

Is this correct?
    Ultimately, the license holder is responsible for the integrity of the work done by his employees.

Give them a chance to finish it.

The name of the company and license number must be printed on your invoice.

Depending upon your location, there may have been a permit required also.

If your invoice does not have the company license number on it, then your equipment has been installed illegally.

The Texas Department of Licensing & Regulation maintains a list of licensed contractors.
    There is also also a complaints procedure, if necessary.

Individual installers do not require licensing, but MUST work for a licensed company.
    Not necessarily every person employed by a company must be EPA certified.
    Only those that actually handle the refrigerants. That's a federal requirement, not state.

[Edited by bwal2 on 05-28-2005 at 07:53 PM]

every invoice from every contractor that is licensed in the great state of texas has to have the dept.of regulation and licensing. also the invoice is supposed to have thier license number. and the install is supposed to be permited and inspected by the city.

Does it normally take 24 hours to install a system?

I'm not trying to be mean, but the crew looked like something out of deliverance. The installer had his wife, sister-in-law, and step son-in-law working with him. His wife wasn't even wearing shoes.....

did they come from tennessee. it depends on what was changes out. normally 6 to 12 hours.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast