Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I am the only guy at our company that uses oxy/acet to braze. And always use nitrogen. Everyone else thinks I'm the oddman (oddball) out. They have blind faith that soldering is just as good. I'm used to tubing benders to avoid fittings, in fact never used them on new installs. Many of my service calls are our "call-backs" and find LOTS of soldered fittings; poorly operating systems and more leaks than I could have ever expected. Not to sound tacky, but my old HVAC instructor would say "solder is for plumbers", it has its place but not in refrigeration. Every employee has a turbotorch. I refuse to solder refrig systems. The shame is our company sells TOP-OF-THE-LINE equipment. When it works poorly or fails, they simply blame the manufacturer. Please give me your comments.....I don't want to think their practices are the norm.
    meanwhile, back at the ranch.....

Keep doing what your doing. I have been known to use stay brite on occasion when the joints were already soft soldered. but in general brazing with nitro is the way to go. i think oxy is overkill

I have used a turbo torch for over five years...for brazing, not soldering. No problems whatsoever.

Upgrade to bigger tips for the turbo torch.

[Edited by square2round on 05-28-2005 at 09:50 AM]
    Get back to work.

whats wrong with using MAPP gas and a turbo torch? you havnt had to lug your bottles up to many floors , have you?

Stick to the oxy/acc setup it is faster than the Turbo torch. I have a setup they call an "aircraft torch" it uses the small MAPP gas bottle and a refillable oxygen tank. It works great. I can even use it for cutting if I need to.
    If it ain't broke don't fix it!!

The biggest problem I have is the flux. Soft solder can be a strong joint too but the acid scares me.

At a school I just went to a few weeks ago they talked about this. The strength of a solder joint vs a brazed joint was the same, but the burst strength of a brazed joint was almost half of what a soldered one was.

The company I worked for used staybrite, the one I'm working for now only brazes. Personally I kinda liked soldering, it was easy to carry a soldering box that had everything you needed to make connections vs dragging torches around.

Personally I think they can both work in the proper application long as they are done right.

Just curious... Does anyone use a b-bottle setup to do brazing? Don't recall how hot a system like that gets.

we have done nothing but braze for 35 yrs, used to lug around ac/ox rig but gave it up for turbo torches at least 20 yrs ago. been brazing so long i suck at soft soldering around the house.

I always braze but I would say theres nothing wrong with soldered joints if done right. From what ive seen most of those leaks on solderd stuff is just crappy work. Cut those leaking fittings appart, bet it wasnt cleaned very good and has big spots with no solder. Just clean the damn pipe,fittings,and take easy with the flux!

as far as i am concerned a tech should be able to do buth braze and solder
    these guys that just solder the lines will have a problem if they wind up with a co that only brazes or if thay ever have to replace a compressor
    stay-brite is great but brazing is part of the trade and we all shoild be able to braze

Thanks for the feedback.
    meanwhile, back at the ranch.....

i was told you have to braze not solder on the 410a systems, and this was from a manufacture of hvac equipment. and yes i agree that a service tech should be able to solder and braze.

dont forget - a major benefit of brazing is in the
    localizing of heat. more concentrated hotter flame
    makes for less heat transmitted to sensitive components.
    and . . how you gonna join copper and steel?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast