In the High Desert of SoCal. 1500 sq. ft ranch. Dry heat but not uncommon to go 100 degrees plus for weeks on end. I am looking at replacing a 19 year old Carrier split system. The furnace/blower is inside the house in a hallway closet. The outside unit sits under our Master Bedroom window. So sound is somewhat of a concern with both parts. I like & trust our local Carrier dealer. Here are the various options he has given me:

1) Infinity 18 AC + Infinity 96 Furnace
    2) Infinity 18 AC + Inifinity 80 Furnace
    3) Performance 14 AC + Comfort 80 Furnace

With about a $1500 difference (after rebates) betwen 1& 3.

Wondering what you insiders see as any practical downsides to going #3 vs # 1 or #2.
    I rarely even use heat - maybe a few hours in the AM during Dec-Jan-Feb. Mainly want an efficient quiet AC.

I figure either Infinity or the Performance set-up will be an improvement over the current rig - just having a hard time figuring out if the extra $1500 would be well spent going top-of-the line...

Any input would be greatly appreciated...

srp

If you rarely use heat, why not consider a heat pump and fan coil w/supplemental heat strips instead of a furnace?

Your savings would be even more substantial if you did.

All of the systems you posted are excellent.

I don't know if you would like a heat pump due to the high eletricity prices in cali. One of the nice things on the infinety system is the a/c, it is quiet. Plus the 2 stage that you might need for the 100 deg days. The furn. I would go with the 80% since you dont use heat so much. The 90% unit is great I want one in my house. This system has more thing to it too. Like it will control humidity, it will stage the a/c and the furnace, remind you to change the filter, will let you know there is a problem and to call your hvac company with a telephone # to call, it is programable or just set a temp and it will hold it, carrier also says that if a problem does come up it will also call the hvac company for you with a small monitering fee, and carrier says that you can call this stat by phone to change the temp settings, it also has a 270 day vacation mode. This is all from the T-stat. The infinity system is top of the line from carrier. I liked it and was easy to operate too. You also sayed about a 1500$ diff. Does the other brand give you a 10yr warranty? Carrier will.

[Edited by rushin on 05-29-2005 at 02:07 AM]

It's not another brand. Performance is another line from Carrier. The warranties are similar.

The power consumption issue has me baffled. You rarely use heat but you need a furnace?

Thanks for the input guys - most appreciated. To clarify on the gas furnace business - there is a blower unit/furnace (central heat and air) already in the house. We do get a winter here - but rare to be below 32F for any long run - so it is not like the heater is useless - that said the AC is what we really need. My plan was to simply replace both inside and outside units. The real rub up here is finding somebody who knows what they are doing and who will come over when they say they will. (This desert has spawned a lot of marginal HVAC guys) My Carrier guy is on the ball. If his recommendtion was to install a heat pump I'd certainly entertain that - but he is suggesting the replacement(s) that he and his crew routinely do - so I figure I'll go with the flow.

Question: will the AC unit of the Infinity 18 be significantly quieter than the AC unit of the Performance 14? The specs would seem to suggest only a 5-6 dB difference. How does this compare to your experience?

Finally, an old timer I’ve just spoken with (who just had an Amana installed) suggested I stick with a Freon system - vs the new Puron® models.
    I’m sure this has been beat to death here but any enlightenment you can pass on re the Freon/Puron decision is appreciated as well.

Again, many thanks for your time...

You said it... let the Ole timer keep his old freon R22 because thats what it will be.

The Dealers in our area have been increasing their prices on R22.

Why buy yesterday's technology when you can have tommorrows technology today.

The infinity is a great system #2 should serve you well.
    "Football Season again finally"

Ok you tald to a old timer, that is ok. This is the true. In the year 2010 there will not be any more R-22 unites made in the U.S. In the year 2020 R-22 will not be made in the U.S. This is carriers jump on the market. I don't know what the price is of what you will be charged for the new system. All I can say is I have put them in and I want one in my house. I do like this system. I hope you trust your HVAC company is what counts.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL

wwww.410a.com ,,take a look and decide,for us it's Puron/R410a,since 1997,it a proven product.

The old timer is... old. :^) There's no clear answer as to which is best. So whatever your installer is most comfortable with, that's the best.

18 SEER? I'm extremely curious. Are you buying the ultra high SEER for the features or for the energy savings? If it's for energy savings, how did they determine what you'll save on your bill? Did they look at past bills, determine baseline usage and then calculate a percentage of peak usage? Or did they use the rather fanciful formula based on heating degree days and cooling hours?

Irascible,

The 3 AC options my Carrier guy gave me were 18, 14 and 12 SEER. Nobody made any 'savings' calculations. At this point, I'm leaning toward the 14 SEER AC and the Comfort 80 blower/furnace. Don't need all the bells and whistles of the top of the line (my current unit is really spartan) and the 14 SEER ought to offer a fair savings over what I'm running now. Will use the $1500 difference between the Infinity and the Performance to get some new dual-pane glass for the LR ;-)

again, thanks to you all for your input!