When my house was built 25 years ago the builder put the air handlers in the attic. One needs to be replaced. The attic opening is maybe 18" X 18"
    Does anybody have a model and brand they could recommend that my guy can get through that space?
    Thanks

Do yourself and your service contractor a big favor and have a pull down stairs installed to your attic space.

When I was a contractor doing attic systems, if there was not an easy access that did not require my dragging a ladder through the house, I would only do an attic changeout if I was allowed to install a pull down stairs. Got pretty good at it.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Originally posted by RoBoTeq
    Do yourself and your service contractor a big favor and have a pull down stairs installed to your attic space.

When I was a contractor doing attic systems, if there was not an easy access that did not require my dragging a ladder through the house, I would only do an attic changeout if I was allowed to install a pull down stairs. Got pretty good at it.

Wow! I'm impressed I don't have time to dick around with accesses. I vote for making the access bigger if you can, although I do love dem' pull downs

We pay a contractor to install them for us.

Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

International mechanical code, thus city code for passing inspection require "a fixed ladder to access the attic if HVAC equipment is located in the attic". Thus I will not install a furnace or fan coil unit in the attic without a drop down staircase. I will only use metal staircase due to the crop (sp) wooden stairs splitting at joints / bolt holes.
    Licensing laws are tough, and it's about time.

Well, that's great for you. Unfortunately for me, I can't wait around for code enforcement officials to change things.
    I've gotta' make a living and I'll go in an attic whether I have to use my ladder or someone else's to install or service units there.
    That code, if it applies locally, grandfathers in all existing accesses, which would make it for new construction only.

2 things u could make the central return return bigger-if u have a central return we ran into that i time or the other is a bear break the air handler dowm-i mean take the coil,blower out and reinstall it back in the attic,

In extreme cases.....

When I worked for my Father, I would simply cut a hole in the ceiling (garage usually) and have a drywall guy come back and patch it for $120. Trying to get a 5 ton Rheem up an attic access was damn near impossible. I dont think the cabinets broke down? But I could be wrong....either way.

Id put the cost of the drywall patch into the quote.

It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.

~Albert Camus