Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by phbsales View Post
    You have to bring more than a stereotype and a thinly veiled insult to educators
    stereotype?!?
    insult?!?

How about fact...

Does your school run year round?
    Does your school get almost 2 weeks off for Xmas?
    Does your school get almost 1 week for t-day?
    Does your school get another week for spring break?
    Does your school get every other rinky dink holiday off?
    How many half days are there during the school year?

They call this a full time job??

What kind of medial, dental, eye coverage?
    Pension?

I have teachers in the family myself. While there take home pay isn’t anything to get excited about the medical and pension is far better than most, oh yea and they get LOADS OF TIME OFF.
    Propagating the formula. http://www.noagendashow.com/

Here's the solution

Teachers' hefty salaries are driving up taxes, and they only work 9 or10 months a year! It's time we put things in perspective and pay them for what they do - babysit! We can get that for less than minimum wage.

That's right. Let's give them $3.00 an hour and only the hours they worked; not any of that silly planning time, or any time they spend before or after school. That would be $19.50 a day (7:45 to 3:00 PM with 45 minutes off for lunch and planning-- that equals 6 1/2 hours).

Each parent should pay $19.50 a day for these teachers to baby-sit their children. Now how many students do they teach in a day...maybe 30? So that's $19.50 x 30 = $585.00 a day.

However, remember they only work 180 days a year!!! I am not going to pay them for any vacations.

LET'S SEE....

That's $585 X 180= $105,300 per year.

What about those special education teachers and the ones with Master's degrees? Well, we could pay them minimum wage ($7.75), and just to be fair, round it off to $8.00 an hour. That would be $8 X 6 1/2 hours X 30 children X 180 days = $280,800 per year.

The average teacher's salary (nation wide) is $50,000 per year. $50,000/180 days = $277.77/per day/30 students=$9.25/6.5 hours = $1.42 per hour per student--a very inexpensive baby-sitter and they even EDUCATE your kids!

Quote Originally Posted by orion242 View Post
    stereotype?!?
    insult?!?

How about fact...

Does your school run year round? No, but my wife teaches summer school.
    Does your school get almost 2 weeks off for Xmas? Usually the 23rd to the 2nd
    Does your school get almost 1 week for t-day?Only Thursday and Friday
    Does your school get another week for spring break?Yes
    Does your school get every other rinky dink holiday off?Yes
    How many half days are there during the school year?One or two

They call this a full time job??Yes, you should see what teachers do after hours, grading papers.

What kind of medial, dental, eye coverage?Medical only, no dental, no eye, she pays 20% out of her check for this.
    Pension?State Teachers Retirement, they do not pay into Social Security.

I have teachers in the family myself. While there take home pay isn’t anything to get excited about the medical and pension is far better than most, oh yea and they get LOADS OF TIME OFF.

I'm going to bow out of this discussion. I'm too close to this particular subject. I need to step away from the computer and cool off.

Enjoy the rest of the day.

I just find it very telling when a committee that is reviewing the bill has a member replaced because he wouldn't rubber stamp the proposal. Isn't this what they do in Banana Republics? http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110302/NEWS0108/303020043/Ohio-committee-OK-s-Senate-Bill-5?odyssey=tab|mostpopular|text|FRONTPAGE

I'm going to bow out of this discussion. I'm too close to this particular subject. I need to step away from the computer and cool off.

Enjoy the rest of the day.

Fair enough, I'll spare you the lengthy rebuttal.

BTW my beef with schools is not limited to teachers. Administration and the ungodly expensive buildings they toss up are just as guilty if not more.

Since when did we consider teachers over paid?

I didn't and won't call them overpaid...

I do however get my panties in a bunch when I hear them trying to compare their wages to someone that works 2000/hrs a year.

I'm sorry to hear about your friends adjustment to the lower income from the teaching job. I suppose the only way you would be happy is if they were exempt from the bill that has come due. Everyone who is being effected by this would love to be exempt. And some are demanding that they are exempt.

Now compare this to teaches who have been laid off. Or the fireman and policeman who have been laid off here. They have nothing to adjust too.

I know of many customers who are in free enterprise who have closed their doors. They, too, would like to be exempt from paying the bill that has come due. But they are out of business as well as a few I know of that are on the way out of business.

There is no reason that anyone should be exempt from this crisis that we have created in the US. We all will have to pay and are paying part of the bill in some way. And it's only going to get worse.

Oh, one exception though. Some of my long term friends who are Federal Government employees are going on in life as if nothing is happening at all. Their bennies are all still in tack, pay raises to some degree, trips paid by the tax paying citizens are still taking place, retirement plans and benefits that you would not believe...on and on.

Want to get mad..that a look at the Federal Government..and they are still hiring.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaT View Post
    I'm sorry to hear about your friends adjustment to the lower income from the teaching job. I suppose the only way you would be happy is if they were exempt from the bill that has come due. Everyone who is being effected by this would love to be exempt. And some are demanding that they are exempt.

Now compare this to teaches who have been laid off. Or the fireman and policeman who have been laid off here. They have nothing to adjust too.

I know of many customers who are in free enterprise who have closed their doors. They, too, would like to be exempt from paying the bill that has come due. But they are out of business as well as a few I know of that are on the way out of business.

There is no reason that anyone should be exempt from this crisis that we have created in the US. We all will have to pay and are paying part of the bill in some way. And it's only going to get worse.

Oh, one exception though. Some of my long term friends who are Federal Government employees are going on in life as if nothing is happening at all. Their bennies are all still in tack, pay raises to some degree, trips paid by the tax paying citizens are still taking place, retirement plans and benefits that you would not believe...on and on.

Want to get mad..that a look at the Federal Government..and they are still hiring.
    BZ Outstanding post...

uuum, interesting:

Wisconsin Teachers Salaries: http://www.teacher-world.com/teacher...wisconsin.html

In Wisconsin, teaching salaries averaged $52,644 in 2009-10, according to the National Education Association,

and Ohio:http://www.teacher-world.com/statespages/Ohio.html

With an average teacher salary of $55,931,*

when you start to add in benefits and vacation..........I wish I had taken up teaching. It sure sounds better than schlepping furnace and a/c's around

My SIL was going to be a Art Teacher in the Toledo School system. She has a masters degree and everything. First day of class she walked into her room to find some old "senior" teacher at her desk. She said "The principle would like to talk to you" My SIL went to the Principles office where she was informed "Her services have been replaced by a senior teacher and she no longer has a job. She went to the Union, they said "sorry and good luck out there"

She now works as the Head of Human Resources of a large corporation at 4 times what she would have made as a teacher.

Her message to this fabulous Teachers union.......Thank you for not sticking up for her
    LOVE has four letters

So does BEER, DEER,GUNS AND FISH

My wife says she will be brushing up her resume this weekend. jmac, your post gives me hope that she will find a better paying job in the private sector.

My wife says she will be brushing up her resume this weekend. jmac, your post gives me hope that she will find a better paying job in the private sector.
    to be honest, I was pretty stunned as to the unwillingness of the Union person to help. She spent (I mean my MIL ) a boat load of money to be educated in the Teaching Profession and to literally have the rug ripped out from under her was astonishing. Not to mention her disappointment.

Even if you have a Master Degree, your chances of finding a "good paying" teaching job are really pretty slim. Unless you want to work in East Begeesus Rural-anywhere.

And we are now seeing why being a teacher isn't such a great deal. Jmac's First rule of employment, never work with any organization/bureaucracy with a budget. Your income is instantly limited to the budget. So don't be expecting any kind of raise anytime soon. If the budget goes down, people get laid off.

Jmac's second rule of employment: If you insist on being a teacher, DON'T BE a Art or Music or Gym teacher. They are the first to get canned with the SHTF (which it has across the nation) and the budget gets hacked.

Jmac's Third rule of employment: Be self-employed. If your going to go broke, do it on your own terms, not regulated by someone else budget or management skills.
    LOVE has four letters

So does BEER, DEER,GUNS AND FISH

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast