Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ohio

Ohio

Wisconsin has been a lot of fun to watch in the news over the past couple of weeks- that much is sure. But since the democrats have skipped out of the state, shirked their obligations and basically gone on paid vacations during work hours, it seems like this standoff might last for quite a while.

Enter Ohio.

Ohio is actually making some real progress here- progress that exceeds what Wisconsin is even attempting. Yesterday the Ohio State Senate passed a bill that goes even farther than the one Wisconsin is fighting for. And luckily, the Assembly and Governor are all on board to make it into a law in the next week or so!

Even if Wisconsin's saga drags on and on waiting for one or two democrats to stop being cowards and actually show up for work, there is always Ohio to look towards.

So far 2012 is turning out to be the best year in many decades. Lets just hope these union jerks don't get violent.

Quote Originally Posted by BACnet View Post
    Wisconsin has been a lot of fun to watch in the news over the past couple of weeks- that much is sure. But since the democrats have skipped out of the state, shirked their obligations and basically gone on paid vacations during work hours, it seems like this standoff might last for quite a while.

Enter Ohio.

Ohio is actually making some real progress here- progress that exceeds what Wisconsin is even attempting. Yesterday the Ohio State Senate passed a bill that goes even farther than the one Wisconsin is fighting for. And luckily, the Assembly and Governor are all on board to make it into a law in the next week or so!

Even if Wisconsin's saga drags on and on waiting for one or two democrats to stop being cowards and actually show up for work, there is always Ohio to look towards.

So far 2012 is turning out to be the best year in many decades. Lets just hope these union jerks don't get violent.
    There will be a referendum on this. I don't give a flying **** what you think about unions, but this bill just cost a lot of families a bunch of money. Teachers are among the lowest paid professionals, and they just got a 50% pay cut. How is that progress?

BTW, that pay cut my wife will experience is going to put us in a lower tax bracket. Even less money to the state. Ohio just shot itself in the foot.

Oh, yeah. I almost forgot. If I would have known what my party was planning to do and how it would affect me, I would have stayed home on election day. My party has failed me miserably.

phbsales-

I do appreciate how this will effect your family and I do feel badly that it will hurt you this coming year. But if a merit-based system replaces the mafia-based system, your wife will surely rise to the top.

Every single law that is passed hurts some and helps some. Quite honestly it is hard not to feel badly when you are in the company of those who will be hurt as this system is fixed. My heart goes out to you for your short term discomfort, but that does not mean that I think that public sector unions should not be wiped out.

I really don't think you understand the impact, and I don't expect you to.

My wife and I have close friends, one is a teacher, and the other is a firefighter, both Republican. Their family income will fall from $110K to $61K. They have 3 children, one with special needs. They will not only no longer be able to afford their home, but they now qualify for government assistance, based on their special needs child.

Congratulations.......this bill has just created a whole new set of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by phbsales View Post
    I really don't think you understand the impact, and I don't expect you to.

My wife and I have close friends, one is a teacher, and the other is a firefighter, both Republican. Their family income will fall from $110K to $61K. They have 3 children, one with special needs. They will not only no longer be able to afford their home, but they now qualify for government assistance, based on their special needs child.

Congratulations.......this bill has just created a whole new set of problems.
    $40,000? I don't think so.

Teachers with a bachelors degree will start out at $20K/year.

If they have a masters degree, they will start at $21,900/year.

With a masters degree and over 10 years experience, they will make $32K.

This bill addresses merit pay in name only and offers no formula as to how it's going to be administered.

Quote Originally Posted by phbsales View Post
    Teachers are among the lowest paid professionals

THEY ONLY WORK A LITTLE OVER 7 MONTHS A YEAR AND HAVE BENIES THAT FAR EXCEED THE PRIVATE SECTOR.

Figuring in the amount of time they are actually work, calling them the "lowest paid professionals" is a joke.
    Propagating the formula. http://www.noagendashow.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Java Bob View Post
    $40,000? I don't think so.
    Read the bill in its entirety including the restructured wage tables and get back with me.

Here's a link..........http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/B...SB_5_PS_N.html

Enjoy.....

Let's not get too caught up with the teachers here. Remember, this is to fix the problem in the entire public sector. That means the losers at the DMV straight through the administrative aides for the governor. All of them.

Quote Originally Posted by orion242 View Post
    THEY ONLY WORK A LITTLE OVER 7 MONTHS A YEAR AND HAVE BENIES THAT FAR EXCEED THE PRIVATE SECTOR.

Figuring in the amount of time they are actually work, calling them the "lowest paid professionals" is a joke.
    You have to bring more than a stereotype and a thinly veiled insult to educators to the table to even be credible in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by BACnet View Post
    Let's not get too caught up with the teachers here. Remember, this is to fix the problem in the entire public sector. That means the losers at the DMV straight through the administrative aides for the governor. All of them.
    The GOP has done what they promised they would do, and that's decrease the size of government.

They never thought about the collateral damage to hard working families.

Did I mention that the Governor got a pay raise in this bill? Losers, indeed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast