Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

UV Lights for HVAC System

Is there any value in adding one of these to a system? I have searched the internet and I can't seem to find a consensus. Need to turn to the pros.

Thanks!

BPChiIl

Don't think you'll find a consensus among the pros either. UV lights serve a purpose in some situations like dirty sock syndrome. but they're not the be all end all for air quality issues either.

Theres no doubt that they sanitize whatever surface the light touches, but as far as direct impact on the air stream its minimal if anything for the average UV kit.

Depending on the brand. You will have to change the bulbs every 1-2 years. Resulting in a couple of hundred dollar maintenance cost. Bulbs don't last forever and they aren't cheap.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

In my opinion, UV lights are best installed by the coil. Unless you have a variable speed blower motor that can run on circulate, the air travels too fast across the light to be effective on a whole house level. I prefer to use them as a coil treatment combined with an EAC or the Induct 2000. Let's start with this...what caused you to question if a UV was right for you?

I installed one at my home & never noticed any help for my sinus issues. Mine is just in the return air flow. Puting it over the coil to kill germs may be a better use.

One of the surgery centers I service utilizes these in all of their units. All they do is ALOT LMAO. Kills germs, bacteria, viruses, mildew, mold spores such as stachybotrys and black mold, destroy VOCs, eliminate odors, produce negative hydroxyl ions. The kill rate of air pollutants is a function of space, time and the intensity of UV

Yes, best installation of these lights are closest to the evap coil. Yours is installed wrong

Again a UV light like he said is not the end all be all solution for IAQ

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroTolerance View Post
    One of the surgery centers I service utilizes these in all of their units. All they do is ALOT LMAO. Kills germs, bacteria, viruses, mildew, mold spores such as stachybotrys and black mold, destroy VOCs, eliminate odors, produce negative hydroxyl ions. The kill rate of air pollutants is a function of space, time and the intensity of UV

Yes, best installation of these lights are closest to the evap coil. Yours is installed wrong

Again a UV light like he said is not the end all be all solution for IAQ
    I'm sure the surgery centers spent more than $125 on there units???? LMAO- SMB
    The time in contact with moving air is too short for most units that are installed in houses. Bacteria growing on coils in most houses is a non issue.

^ Yes, for cheapass $125 UV lights you are not going to get hardly anything out of them lol.
    http://docs.electronicaircleaners.co...technology.pdf

It all depends on the quality of the UV light. (Intensity and reflectivity) I prefer to place the UV lights always close to the evap cause the fins reflect the UV light increasing the kill rate tremendously.

variable Speed Blower Add On

Quote Originally Posted by Chief FFS View Post
    In my opinion, UV lights are best installed by the coil. Unless you have a variable speed blower motor that can run on circulate, the air travels too fast across the light to be effective on a whole house level. I prefer to use them as a coil treatment combined with an EAC or the Induct 2000. Let's start with this...what caused you to question if a UV was right for you?
    An aftermarket ECM motor that can run at a low speed, energy efficient constant fan mode, can provide the continuous air low speed air circulation
    that optimizes IAQ equipment. There are various brands available in the market.
    They are often paired with IAQ equipment sales in non-variable speed systems to upgrade standard induction PSC motors to ECM. This can ptimize the IAQ equipment effectiveness at low additional daily operating cost to the homeowner for constant fan model, and provide power consumption savings in heat/cool mode operation.

Never seen a uv light help with an exsiting DSS issue! Seen many times that they all come up short! Money better spent would be a service contract

UV lights

It seems to me that a UV light should be placed in the return path. I have seen many installed in the evaporator or immediately after it, but what about the extreme heat and cold that the bulb will be subjected to in this location?

Quote Originally Posted by stevewh View Post
    It seems to me that a UV light should be placed in the return path. I have seen many installed in the evaporator or immediately after it, but what about the extreme heat and cold that the bulb will be subjected to in this location?
    Bulbs can take the 'extreme' heat and cold.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast