Hmm COMFORT AIR HP R410A PRESS PROBLEMS

Hi Guys,
    We have a small 7 story residential building with R22 heat pumps, water cooled.

We have had this account for 6 years and never had head pressure problems till last month. The unit range from 2 to 4 ton in the apartments.

Last month one R-22 burned out its compressor and we bought the exact factory replacement with R410A. The unit head pressure was running up to 600 psi and would kick out on the saftey. (610)
    Again, NO problems with any of the other R-22 in building at this time. Based on all info, the water flow for the unit is the same as per the R-22 unit we removed???
    Has anyone had any pressure problem when you change them out from 22 to a 410 unit?? All piping the same,no reg valves, nothing but the unit was changed.
    Last edited by mrhvacmechanic; 03-02-2011 at 09:46 PM. Reason: type o
    "My hands are for sale"

Quote Originally Posted by mrhvacmechanic View Post
    Hi Guys,

We have had this account for 6 years and never had head pressure problems till last month. The unit range from 2 to 4 ton in the apartments.

Last month one R-22 burned out its compressor and we bought the exact factory replacement with R410A. The unit head pressure was running up to 600 psi and would kick out on the saftey. (610)
    Again, NO problems with any of the other R-22 in building at this time. Based on all info, the water flow for the unit is the same as per the R-22 unit we removed???
    Has anyone had any pressure problem when you change them out from 22 to a 410 unit?? All piping the same,no reg valves, nothing but the unit was changed.
    I have done several changouts of WS HP form 22 to 410a. i have never had a problem like this as long as you kept the tonnage the same..
    Can you disconnect the hoses or use a drain valve to assure there is water present in the condenser?
    Can you take a split across the condenser to see if any heat is being absorbed?
    How long does it run?
    usually there is a strainer before the inlet of the coil.

Quote Originally Posted by mrhvacmechanic View Post
    Hi Guys,

Was this in heat mode or cooling mode? Was it in both?

Recently changed out five 3 Ton WS HP, from R-22 to 410A with no issues. Any update on what you found?

Hmm

Going to job tomorrow morning. None of the units have any themom.,guages or strainers on line. Like I mentioned this is our first problem, only with the change out.

Unit same tonage. There was a high delta tee and unit runs high in either mode?? Thus indicating a flow problem?

I don't know why my office didn't install guages and therm. when they changed it. Probably to save money as usual.

I will now more to morrow and tell you what we find.
    "My hands are for sale"

Hmm

There's defintly a flow problem here. The only way to install pressure guages is to drain risers and do it.

Since we have no other problems in the building, I think maybe in shutting off the old 3/4 globe valves the stem may have broken? Either that or something logged in the seat when it was reopened. Maybe a peice of debrie??

Once we cut lines we will know.
    "My hands are for sale"

Going to job tomorrow to install guages. Will keep you up to date.
    "My hands are for sale"

Cool

When we cut the lines for the guages to be installed, we found the leaving water globe valve all clogged with debrie.

We back flushed the line and reconnected. Pressures perfect.
    "My hands are for sale"