Emergency Heat Randomly Turns On?????

Hello,

I recently bought my first home and I can say I am very happy with my purchase so far other then the issue I am having with my heat pump. The system is old in HVAC years (20 years old and original to the home) and I would not have purchased teh home because of this but the seller offered a home warranty so I felt a little better about it. I have noticed that at random times the Emergency Heat indicator will click on at the thermostat and the outside unit will cut off and the system will strictly run on the inside unit. I am then able to back down the temp and the indicator light immediately turns off and once the system cycles off I can return the temp to its original position and the outside unit will kick back on. I am concerned about calling my home warranty service to have them come out because as some people have said this could just be faulty thermostat that is sending the wrong message to the system or it could be that the system itself is faulty and in that case I will gladly call the home warranty service since it will cover any replacement or repair. I have no real knowledge of of heating and cooling and any information you could give would be great.

I'm not sure if this matters but I live in Maryland and since I have been in my house the temp outside has dipped below freezing at night sometimes and gotten as high as 70 during the day.

PLEASE HELP!!!

What is your source of emergency heat? Gas, oil, electric? Emergency heat coming on is no big deal. When the heat pump struggles to keep up. It's going to use the emergency heat to keep you warm. Most thermostats do not have the abililty to lock out the emergency heat. Especially on a 20 year old unit. I wouldn't sweat it much. Just to let you know. Most home warranties aren't worth the paper they're written on. They don't do much on high dollar repairs. Lots of little things that aren't covered by the warranty that cost big $$$. Read the fine print. A lot (not all) companies that do home warranties are bottom feeders as well and are not qualified and barely capable of fixing or even spelling the word hvac. Good luck. Best bet is to call somebody out and pay full price to evaluate and fix if necessary.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

Are you sure it isn't going into defrost? The aux heat is suppose to come on during defrost.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by bmathews View Post
    What is your source of emergency heat? Gas, oil, electric? Emergency heat coming on is no big deal. When the heat pump struggles to keep up. It's going to use the emergency heat to keep you warm. Most thermostats do not have the abililty to lock out the emergency heat. Especially on a 20 year old unit. I wouldn't sweat it much.....
    EH does come on when the unit is struggling... But this case it seems like either it's defrosting or bad thermostat.
    I recently had a case where we had faulty Thermostat. It's been about 2 months and they haven't called back for any problems...Good luck =)

Quote Originally Posted by zionair View Post
    EH does come on when the unit is struggling... But this case it seems like either it's defrosting or bad thermostat.
    I recently had a case where we had faulty Thermostat. It's been about 2 months and they haven't called back for any problems...Good luck =)

Emergency heat never comes on while the heat pump is running. The aux heat can, the emergency heat can't.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Emergency heat never comes on while the heat pump is running. The aux heat can, the emergency heat can't.
    But it is normally the same element ! If the stat does not have a unique indicator how would one know the difference ?

paul

Quote Originally Posted by tecman View Post
    But it is normally the same element ! If the stat does not have a unique indicator how would one know the difference ?

paul
    Emergency heat is only when the thermostat is set to emergency heat. Any other time the strip heat comes on it is aux/back up heat. Yes, its some what just a terminology thing. But there are some units that are set up that aux and emergency heat are different elements/sets of elements. And one or the other may have more heat then the other.

When ever the strip heat comes on with the heat pump running(weather in heat mode or defrost) it is aux/back up heat though.
    Contractor locator map