Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
    Originally posted by rich pickering
    dx, is thermocouple extension wire part of the loop or part of the control wiring?

Relax, like I said, I should have omitted "especially in controls"

What do you consider low voltage?

This would be more fun over beers.
    Hey rich, I am wiring up a control panel for another company here, I read the spec told them to get me so many switches, relays and terminal strips, what size transformer etc.

It was really cool the transformer leads were tinned just like dx said. But I do not know what to do with the toggle switches with the aluminum wire pigtails. I hope all the LED lights don't have aluminum leads too.

The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

I know what you should do. Call the company that makes the toggle switches and ask them why the pigtails are aluminum. Then tell us what they said, except for any profanity they might use

Originally posted by rich pickering
    So, would a 208 volt signal to a contactor or relay be low power?

That's definetly line voltage, just like a 120V actuator or a redundant gas vale on a big gas train.

Most likely be electricans work, especially if it was outside of a piece of equipment.
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, Canada Occupation:Interprovincial Plumber, Commercial Gasfitter Interests:
    Well I'm just a dumb plumber/gas fitter, but if its after the j box on gas fired equipment, it's all mine regardless of voltage.
    I love my job, but paydays Thursday

Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, Canada Occupation:Interprovincial Plumber, Commercial Gasfitter Interests:
    I just tried scraping the silver colered spade conectors on that honeywell transformer. No copper there. Magnet sticks to them too. Must be steel. Does that mean they are not part of the control circut?
    I love my job, but paydays Thursday

Ontario gas fitting license allowed you to run 120V controls, only ran into 208V coils on water cooled AC and deli ovens.

Down here if you have to run more than 24 volts, like a 120V line to a damper motor in duct work, its for electricans only.

Rich, terminals and connector pins are not wires and are not always copper. They are mostly brass, with or without some sort of plating. Brass is springy, yet still a good conductor. And more expensive. Some cheap ones are steel with some type of plating.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678