Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    There are many other special applications and thermostats, this is the most common set up very easy to wire. Most gas with air conditioning is just a four wire set up. Red, White, yellow and Green. ...I thought that's what I said.........

I did side jobs for a freind who is a home builder once in a while, when I was green, like you, I did many side jobs.

I have a news flash.. ...........all wiring is copper inside, color really doesn't matter, I can actually use any wire any color and still get the same result since I understand the operation of the equipment.

I moved on from residential work, to me there was no challenge in it anymore, it's boring and remedial.Now I work with commercial and industrial refrigeration and have for 8 years, I worked in residential for 10 years before that.The money is day and night,I'm not presssured to be a salesman,don't have to deal with home owners and I wouldn't trade it for any other job. You Residential guys think you're electrical wizards, when actually rsidential wiring is very elementary as far as HVAC and refrigeration is concerned, some of you will evolve to that level and some will think they're electrical engineers every time they wire that high tech 5 or 8 wire stat up....lol..

Originally posted by helicalrotoman
    There are many other special applications and thermostats, this is the most common set up very easy to wire. Most gas with air conditioning is just a four wire set up. Red, White, yellow and Green. ...I thought that's what I said.........

I did side jobs for a freind who is a home builder once in a while, when I was green, like you, I did many side jobs.

I have a news flash.. ...........all wiring is copper inside, color really doesn't matter, I can actually use any wire any color and still get the same result since I understand the operation of the equipment.

I moved on from residential work, to me there was no challenge in it anymore, it's boring and remedial.Now I work with commercial and industrial refrigeration and have for 8 years, I worked in residential for 10 years before that.The money is day and night,I'm not presssured to be a salesman,don't have to deal with home owners and I wouldn't trade it for any other job. You Residential guys think you're electrical wizards, when actually rsidential wiring is very elementary as far as HVAC and refrigeration is concerned, some of you will evolve to that level and some will think they're electrical engineers every time they wire that high tech 5 or 8 wire stat up....lol..

I think part of the problem here is that this is not a DIY forum. Why don't you move on from residential work again and take your ego? Since your such a gift to the world you may consider working on a cure for Cancer? We all know about the pretty colored thermostat wires and are very impressed that you mastered them and residential HVAC and are charting un- explored waters in the HVAC trade.

You may want to read the forum rules in general about posting prices. With thousands and thousands of residential HVAC guys here and for someone so intelligent and gifted, you have made a very impressive intro. You ought to do good here and be looked up to

Thank you for having the courtesy to stop by the residential forum, it's not often that we get someone with your qualifications. I realize that this forum isn't challenging for "super tech" such as yourself, but many of us are hoping that you can stick around and mentor us. As you can see we do need guidance and idividuals like you are the cream of the crop.

We might even be able to scrape a few dollars together and put you on some kind of retainer, it would be our humble offering to you. Keep in mind most of us are well below the poverty level.

Please don't rush down and get stolen away by the "commercial" site, we need you here.

Please don't be angry with James he'sust a hater and he'll come around once he realizes all the help you can provide.

James don't be jealous, it's not often we can draw on the expansive knowledge of someone that's a true "super tech", mind your manners.

[Edited by twilli3967 on 08-14-2005 at 08:24 AM]
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

I'm truly humbled in the presence of your royal heiny.

8 years? WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

Originally posted by rich pickering
    Originally posted by dx
    Get off your high horses and stop ranting. It's a free country and HOs are allowed to screw up whatever they want at their own peril and expense.

My point is, when somebody screws up, the results can be fatal for someone else.

If you can do the job properly, knock yourself out.
    DIYikes

[Edited by rc_crfan on 08-14-2005 at 08:41 AM]

Originally posted by rc_crfan
    Originally posted by rich pickering
    Originally posted by dx
    Get off your high horses and stop ranting. It's a free country and HOs are allowed to screw up whatever they want at their own peril and expense.

My point is, when somebody screws up, the results can be fatal for someone else.

If you can do the job properly, knock yourself out.
    Not to be a smart arse, but how can a improperly installed T-stat be fatal?
    The wife could kill your ass for screwing up the air on a 90F day.

True that!

hey copperx

you shorted out the low voltage, no big deal just call a service company to repair the problem. dont worry, most of the comments in this thread are directed at jack-off's like "crash11" not you. most of us in here have nothing against DIY we just dont like it when some know nothing mooron gives us attitude when we suggest that some things are better left to the pros.
    I don’t always drink beer, but when I do I prefer Dos-Equis. I am the most interesting man in the world. Stay thirsty my friends.

I guess it's all about how much risk the HO wants to take. The HO can either go to Home Depot and install the thermostat oneself, or pay to have a residential HVAC "wizard" install it. According to energystar.gov and Home Depot, installing a thermostat is a low risk activity that most can do. Personally, I think one can learn a lot by trying new things instead of calling a pro everytime.

Yes, you can learn how much you don't know and to not trust every thing your goverment says.

You can do whatever you want at your house. The point is, this is not a DIY site.

[/QUOTE]

Not to be a smart arse, but how can a improperly installed T-stat be fatal? [/B][/QUOTE]

The wife could kill your ass for screwing up the air on a 90F day. [/B][/QUOTE]

Actually it is possible to kill yourself with 24vac and it's not that hard. Those of you who received electronics training in the military in the last 20 years probably have been told how a guy killed himself with a 9v battery. I'm not going to post it here just in case some idiot decides to try it.

Don't be jealous....
    I'm normally a nice guy, but you all jumped on copperx or whoever started this tread like he's was an idiot and thermostat wiring should be left to highly trained HVAC techs....My point is what he was attempting to wire is very simple and if you all put your egos aside and stop thinking a person needs to be a super trained professional to wire a thermosat and help the guy out. Doesn't feel good to be talked down to like an idiot does it? I personally get sick every time I hear a residential service tech. making something soooo easy, sound soo difficult to make himself look like a genius in someone elses eyes.

Like I said before I tauhgt my 12 year old daughter to wire a heat/cool stat and she does it very well now. If I can teach her surely an adult man who comes to a site like this loking for help can be assisted or talked through wiring his t-stat up. I know you all want to think you're the elite service guru and make it out to be and major task....it's quite simple any fool could be coached through the wiring in a matter of minutes with no prior electrical experience. So all you asswipes can get down off your pedastal and take a reality check...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast