Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    HOs are allowed to screw up whatever they want at their own peril and expense.
    I think the point you missed here is this guy was expecting the home waranty company to come and fix it for free once he screwed it up. I personally love home depot t-stats. I make a handsom profit replacing them, and the components they burn up.

No, I didn't miss that part. They collected $50 from him on top of not doing anything. That should be enough to give him a hint about how that works. But hey, I'm not surprised he tried. We live in a country where people spill coffee in their lap and sue McDonald for it.

Ain't that the truth. Your honor, I know I've been drinking coffee for years, but I swear I did not know it was gonna be hot. Mcigits.

Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, Canada Occupation:Interprovincial Plumber, Commercial Gasfitter Interests:
    Originally posted by dx
    Get off your high horses and stop ranting. It's a free country and HOs are allowed to screw up whatever they want at their own peril and expense.

My point is, when somebody screws up, the results can be fatal for someone else.

If you can do the job properly, knock yourself out.
    I love my job, but paydays Thursday

You amatuer Residential guys crack my up. You'd think guy was trying to wire the space shuttle based on the responses to his question. FIVE WIRES, Eight on a Heat Pump. I taught my 12 year old daughter to wire a thermostat while working on side jobs with me. A<B<C D E F G H I J K L M N O P. As far as buring a house down or causing a fatality by miswiring a thermostat, the worst is a smoked tranformer/ $ 20 bucks to replace. I realize some people need to be needed, but come on...Simple. I have actually talked friend through the proces over the phone in 10 minutes time.

No the Warranty shouldn't apply, but for twenty bucks he can buy a new transformer. Here the basic wiring terminations for resdiential t-stat.

Red goes to "R" on thermostat subase. 24volts from transformer.

Green goes to "G" fan relay.

Yellow goes to "y"... starting to see the pattern. Yellow= cooling contactor coil energizes compressor.

White goes to "W" energizes gas valve. or first stage heat on electric heat pump (ie. W1) W2 would be second stage heat for elctric or gas assist on heat pump etc.

Blue is "B" used for Humidifier or other accessories added to furnace to be energized in heat mode.

Orange- "O" terminal is reversing valve for heat pump applications.

E terminal is emergency heat on heat pump application.

X terminal on subase is Common for heat pump eight wire configuration.

There are many other special applications and thermostats, this is the most common set up very easy to wire. Most gas with air conditioning is just a four wire set up. Red, White, yellow and Green.

I rebuild anything from 1200 ton down to 75 ton Chillers try troubleshooting a micro processor, or a building automation system with hundreds of hardware devices and software programming issues, do that for 10 or 20 years. It makes changing a thermostat on a residential system like changing a light bulb and it is five wires, connect the dots....

Originally posted by helicalrotoman

I rebuild anything from 1200 ton down to 75 ton Chillers try troubleshooting a micro processor, or a building automation system with hundreds of hardware devices and software programming issues, do that for 10 or 20 years. It makes changing a thermostat on a residential system like changing a light bulb and it is five wires, connect the dots....

Wow, you do all that, and still do side jobs for extra money, must not get paid much.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, Canada Occupation:Interprovincial Plumber, Commercial Gasfitter Interests:
    five wires, connect the dots....

And the OP still screwed up. Enough said.
    I love my job, but paydays Thursday

Blue is "B" used for Humidifier or other accessories added to furnace to be energized in heat mode.

Orange- "O" terminal is reversing valve for heat pump applications.

If your wiring a rheem /rudd h/p "B" Is wiring for the reversing valve and not "o". The blue wire on the other hand, although not standard in every application, is most often used as a common.

X terminal on subase is Common for heat pump eight wire configuration.

On certain t-stats "x" is not always common, and can be used to switch other devices.

White goes to "W" energizes gas valve. or first stage heat on electric heat pump (ie. W1) W2 would be second stage heat for elctric or gas assist on heat pump etc.

Some dico and white rogers t-stats do not offer a W1 terminal as an option. "W2" is primary heating. Also, A HO / DIy'er may not know to remove or leave the jumper between RH / RC which is a very common application on some multi use t stats.

I agree with the other techs. When in doubt, call a professional.

[Edited by ravenx on 08-14-2005 at 12:00 AM]

And on older Lennox units the blue wire is 24volts ac the yellow wire is common but not always
    theres' no particular "colour standard" nor is there a complete terminal letter standard either. on the HW vision pro and others like the total line p3742200 a single terminal may have 2 different desiginations depending upon the selections made in the system programming mode.

Its just not as "simple" as Hd or lowes or any one makes it out to be. It can be simple however

Speaking as a home owner I should be able to do what I want to my home as long as I follow the rules just like a contractor has to: EG permits
    I should be free to smoke my transformer and stat if I wish
    BUT I should not be thinking how can I get some one else to pay for this.
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

Originally posted by The Penguin

Speaking as a home owner I should be able to do what I want to my home as long as I follow the rules just like a contractor has to: EG permits
    I should be free to smoke my transformer and stat if I wish
    BUT I should not be thinking how can I get some one else to pay for this.
    Can't tell you how mant times I've gone out on a call because the ho smoked the transformer.
    Don't mind it too much, except it always seems to be after hours, weekends, or in the middle of the busyest times.

Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Originally posted by copperx
    Hi, just found this forum and hopefully you guys can help me out..

I've never replace the thermostats myself and I tried to do it for the first time. After installing the new one, I was only able to turn the fan on and off but it wasn't blowing hot or cold air. So, I thought I might not install it correctly and took it out and reinstalled it again. This time it worked just fine for like 3 minutes and I heard some noise (something was blown maybe?)and the systyem stopped working. After that, no matter what I did, the whole thing was dead.

I called up my home warranty company and scheduled for them to come out and look at it. As soon as they came out and looked the thermostats, they refused to fix it under our contract because, 1) the thermostats was not installed correctly (or professionally) 2) the thermostats was not the right kind (we have all electrical system but appearantly I bought the gas thermostats. The guys just collected his $50 (our deductible) and left. Now I am really confused and I have several questions:

1) Is it possible to damage the HVAC system if I installed the gas only thermostats to an electrical system? If so, how much damage could it be?

2) Do you replace your thermostats yourself? Does it void your home warranty if you screw up like I did?

That's all I can think of for now. Thanks in advance.

Cliff
    These should be saved and moved to their own section

Originally posted by crash11
    Copperx,

I'm sure you noticed after the 2nd or 3rd reply that these people here are above normal humans. They, unlike you or I, have a HVAC certification. If I'm reincarnated I hope I can have the enormous amount of talent it takes to be a HVAC guy.

Now, that only took 2 or 3 replies. I see there has been a few more than that telling you the same thing over and over. I'm sure by now you're asking yourself "Why did I even bother?" I'll tell you why.... because you actually needed help. Who better to ask for help about something HVAC related than HVAC contractors, right? Wrong. These guys don't help you, not for free anyway.

I hope I gave you more useful information in this seemingly useless post than all of the replies thus far.
    How appropriate that your name is "Crash"

Originally posted by beenthere

Wow, you do all that, and still do side jobs for extra money, must not get paid much.
    Good one. Just what I was thinking.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast