Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Originally posted by crash11
    Copperx,

I'm sure you noticed after the 2nd or 3rd reply that these people here are above normal humans. They, unlike you or I, have a HVAC certification. If I'm reincarnated I hope I can have the enormous amount of talent it takes to be a HVAC guy.
    you can only hope!!!
    DIYers want to mess with dangerous equipment they know nothing about could get that chance sooner than later.

Copperx,

I'm sure you noticed after the 2nd or 3rd reply that these people here are above normal humans. They, unlike you or I, have a HVAC certification. If I'm reincarnated I hope I can have the enormous amount of talent it takes to be a HVAC guy.

Nice attitude, can't imagine why guys didnt want to help you with your GEO.

Your lack of respect and sarcasm is not appreciated.
    Live each day like it is your last, for one day you will be right!

Copperx, can't tell you from here what all is wrong now.

But, call a local contractor, and be up front with him, he'll take care of what ever is wrong, and you will have learned some thing.

If this is the worst thing you ever do in your life, count your blessings.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Re: copperx

Originally posted by 42yrs exp
    Where do people get the gaul to damage something in their system and expect the warranty to fix it. Warranties are for defects in material and workmanship,
    Well, if the workmanship wasn't defective in this case, I don't know when it would ever be... LOL

lol. Just did a job where the DIY switched stats. H.O. also had no filter in return and condensing swallowed in backyard weeds. Made some good change

The home warrantee tech could have made some money by at least offering to replace the thermostat and transformer and anything else that broke as long as the homeowner would pay for it. At least his system would be up and running.
    But its possible he did offer and the original poster didn't want to pay for it.

Originally posted by moe-air
    lol. Just did a job where the DIY switched stats. H.O. also had no filter in return and condensing swallowed in backyard weeds. Made some good change
    They ALWAYS blame the t-stat.

Like blaming the key if your car gets poor mileage.

Copperx,

Now, that only took 2 or 3 replies. I see there has been a few more than that telling you the same thing over and over. I'm sure by now you're asking yourself "Why did I even bother?" I'll tell you why.... because you actually needed help. Who better to ask for help about something HVAC related than HVAC contractors, right? Wrong. These guys don't help you, not for free anyway.

I hope I gave you more useful information in this seemingly useless post than all of the replies thus far.
    Well, I am a home-owner who sought advise here before. These guys are more than helpful otherwise they won't be here. I am not against DIY but some basic skill is required.. like READING. READ THE F*** MANUAL, READ THE F*** "NOT FOR DIY", READ YOUR F*** HOME WARRENTY CONTRACT... oh, and show some darn respect too.

Copperx,

Now, that only took 2 or 3 replies. I see there has been a few more than that telling you the same thing over and over. I'm sure by now you're asking yourself "Why did I even bother?" I'll tell you why.... because you actually needed help. Who better to ask for help about something HVAC related than HVAC contractors, right? Wrong. These guys don't help you, not for free anyway.

I hope I gave you more useful information in this seemingly useless post than all of the replies thus far.
    Why does everyone who comes here think this is a "help me repair my unit site"? I am not paid by this site. We do not work here. We are posters just like you. What are you offering? Why arent you "helping"?

Why dont you find a medical site and see if you can a the posters there to tell you how to fix a broken arm or remove your wisdom teeth. Guess what you'll find.....

" I see there has been a few more than that telling you the same thing over and over. I'm sure by now you're asking yourself "Why did I even bother?" I'll tell you why.... because you actually needed help. Who better to ask for help about something Medical related than Medical Professionals, right? Wrong. These guys don't help you, not for free anyway. "

I am just waiting to hear how your a single mom with 4 kids living in a house thats 100 degrees as thats usually the next step in getting over the internet step by step repair advice.

I have been thinking about this thread. I would agree many pros tend to be a little crass and in attack mode when a homeowner starts asking technical questions.

I really don’t believe it is intentional, it’s a lot of the same old same old pent up frustration. The HVAC trade lacks the respect it deserves so I think it all starts from there.

People never consider how HVAC affects our everyday life, everyday. Think about it…

If you got hurt and ended up in the hospital, what’s the first thing that makes you feel better?

The Nurse?
    The Doctor?
    The Medication?

Nope, the first thing is the air quality when you enter the hospital. The air is filtered, heated/cooled and humidity kept at a level that is acceptable to human comfort.

Thank your HVAC guy, but that goes unnoticed. When you run out to Home Depot to buy that new thermostat…stop for a minute and think about how comfortable it is in the store. A lot of smart HVAC guys made that happen.

And what is so offensive about telling a homeowner to call a pro anyway? I mean seriously you are dealing with electricity, high pressures and combustional products…doesn’t sound to out of line to me?

If you wanted to paint your wall or plant some shrubs outside I don’t think anybody would give a DIYer a hard time. But playing with dangerous items you don’t understand can cause equipment damage, home damage, personal injury and or death.

Still sound unreasonable to suggest calling a pro, when most of us have seen some the outcomes of the DIY attempt? I refer you up to the last possible outcome I listed (death), as I personally was involved with a legal case 2 years ago when two people died from C0 poising at the hands of a “handyman”.

It was very sad since there was no reason for the young couples death, except of course the uneducated handyman that can fix anything…he don’t need no stinkin HVAC certification, anybody can do it.

The tone may not come out right, but I believe the advice of “call a pro” is meant with the best of intentions.

I'm done now...I feel better.

[Edited by hvac r us 2 on 05-27-2005 at 09:31 AM]
    Live each day like it is your last, for one day you will be right!

If you need help solving your HVAC related problems call a contractor and have him come out and repair the problem.
    Yes, it does cost money. Most services do.
    Don't ask for help and assume you can DIY. You'll f--k up.

If crash11 gets reincarnated, I hope he returns as a compressor so I can overcharge him and watch him die way before his time. Just kidding.

Seriously though, it's better handled by a pro.

Copperx,
    If I'm reincarnated I hope I can have the enormous amount of talent it takes to be a HVAC guy.
    ****is this because you have no talent now

I'll be honest, I didnt read anything to help, maybe post again

I think the problem here is not that people here (Like myself) so much want to save money but feel they can do it themselves without error and learn for the future. Plus if your anything like me as most men are you want it “now” not have to wait for someone to come do it!

For instance I bought my TStat at Lowes, right on the box it states something to the effect of "easy installation", and tech support available. Well while changing my TStat I noticed it was not as easy as stated on the box but did get it done eventually without incident. If I would have gotten stuck or blown something up, oh well lesson learned and I would have called a professional.

I really have a problem with people that are so fast to criticize someone for trying to do things themselves and then asking for help / advice either during the installation or after the installation has went bad. I'm a computer tech and see this all the time and while I agree I would not give out all my secrets I would not stoop to the point where I start bashing the person as being cheap or frugal for trying to attempt to do it himself. These products and many other sold in stores do not recommend having it professionally installed, it actually geared for consumer install. So just remember that before you start bashing people I’m sure “ALL” of you HVAC techs have asked for help at some point during your life and I’m sure were not instantly made to feel like you’re a cheap, unqualified person.

Sorry about your install, with that said I’m really not quite sure how you can expect your warranty company to pick up the tab. You broke it trying to DIY and now “you” should be 100% responsible for the repairs. Remember in the future if you want to DIY be prepared and understand that in the end it might have just be smarter to have it professionally done in the 1st place. I’ve leaned this the hard way and will never attempt anything pluming again, EVER!!!

Felix

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast