Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
    Hi, just found this forum and hopefully you guys can help me out..

I've never replace the thermostats myself and I tried to do it for the first time. After installing the new one, I was only able to turn the fan on and off but it wasn't blowing hot or cold air. So, I thought I might not install it correctly and took it out and reinstalled it again. This time it worked just fine for like 3 minutes and I heard some noise (something was blown maybe?)and the systyem stopped working. After that, no matter what I did, the whole thing was dead.

I called up my home warranty company and scheduled for them to come out and look at it. As soon as they came out and looked the thermostats, they refused to fix it under our contract because, 1) the thermostats was not installed correctly (or professionally) 2) the thermostats was not the right kind (we have all electrical system but appearantly I bought the gas thermostats. The guys just collected his $50 (our deductible) and left. Now I am really confused and I have several questions:

1) Is it possible to damage the HVAC system if I installed the gas only thermostats to an electrical system? If so, how much damage could it be?

2) Do you replace your thermostats yourself? Does it void your home warranty if you screw up like I did?

That's all I can think of for now. Thanks in advance.

Cliff

Yes you can screw up your HVAC system by installing devices improperly or that were not made for your application. Just be thankful that you didn't burn the house down. Now repeat after me. I will not attempt to fix or install something that I do not understand how to fix or install, next time I will call a pro to do things that I do not know how to do

uh oh.

YES you could have screwed up your system, even if you had put the right thermostat on you could have damaged it if not doe corectly.

dont know about the warranty never delt with them

and you could have very easily cost yourself a few hundred dollars

before you get in over your head call a hvac company and let them help you.

More than likely you shorted out the 24 Volt wire and it blew the transformer in the unit and thats why it isnt working.Some tranformers are resetable others need to be replaced. This is a common item and should be on a service mans truck.

A lot of the newer t-stats can be used on several different units ( HP,Gas,Electric)but you have to know what you have and how to wire them up. Also there is a good chance that new wires needs to be ran so the new t-stat works correctly. I dont see why it would be warrantied when it was an error on your part.It's kind of like asking if you hit the t-stat with a hammer would they replace it free.

I think you should think about what you want the T-stat to do. Then call a local company and have them install one that works for you.

OOOOOOOO the cost of saving MONEY.

First let me state I don’t like the Home Warranty Companys but that’s another post
    Lets see if I have this correct.

YOU changed the stat’s, then no cooling but fan.

Then YOU changed them again “This time it worked just fine for like 3 minutes and I heard some noise”

Now YOU want warranty service.

I think YOU should learn your limitations, and leave the repairs to someone else.

I can internet troubleshoot it a step further.

First you wired it were it sent 24 volt to the fan but not to the compressor.

Then you rewired it and the fan ran for 3 minutes. Then when it sent 24 volts for cooling you shorted out the transformer. the problem is mis wired Y1. Please note that if you correct it more than likely some other wire will short out the tranformer the next time around.

Now you can have a technician upgrade the transformer to a resetable type and install a fancy new t-stat.

OOOOOOOO the cost of saving MONEY.
    LOL!

) Do you replace your thermostats yourself? Does it void your home warranty if you screw up like I did?
    Did I replace my own thermostat? Yes. Why? I'm qualified to do so. I've replaced and adjusted more thermostats in one year than most homeowners would touch in a lifetime. All forms of systems, from heat pumps to gas to electric. Why did I replace it? Because I wanted the setback and control features of a Honeywell VisionPro 8000 series thermostat.

Does it void my home warranty if I had screwed it up like you did? Nope. I don't have a home warranty. For me it's a waste of money. I guess you could say I'm the home warranty, since I fix everything unless I know it's out of my realm, such as roofing, foundation repair, etc.

I'm with the others in thinking there's no way a home warranty company should be expected to eat this one. I would be tempted to lobby for thermostats to be relegated to wholesale only, but that would be reducing potential disaster recovery cash flow for many residential HVAC companies!
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

42yrs exp is offline Professional Member BM -bad email address

copperx

Where do people get the gaul to damage something in their system and expect the warranty to fix it. Warranties are for defects in material and workmanship, or for normal wear and tear problems, and not for defects in the customers judgement.

With all the Home centers (Home depot, Lowes, etc)everyone thinks they can do anything. However, things are more complicated than meets the eye.

The lesson you learned could have been more expensive. Live and Learn. Good luck next time.

Did you consider calling out a professional or did you think "Ah well, I can do it myself...There can't be much to it".??
    The type of help you need starts with the understanding that you are not qualified to repair a heating and cooling system. Sorry, but that is the brutally honest truth.
    Home warranty?? If they knew what you did they would more than likely void your warranty.
    CALL A PROFESSIONAL

Remember- Once you let the smoke out it is probably broke.

PS-don't try to put the smoke back in- it doesn't work that way.

Call a profesional.

It's a good thing 480v isn't common in residential, otherwise we'd have many more deaths & injuries due to DIY jobs than we already do.

Copperx,

I'm sure you noticed after the 2nd or 3rd reply that these people here are above normal humans. They, unlike you or I, have a HVAC certification. If I'm reincarnated I hope I can have the enormous amount of talent it takes to be a HVAC guy.

Now, that only took 2 or 3 replies. I see there has been a few more than that telling you the same thing over and over. I'm sure by now you're asking yourself "Why did I even bother?" I'll tell you why.... because you actually needed help. Who better to ask for help about something HVAC related than HVAC contractors, right? Wrong. These guys don't help you, not for free anyway.

I hope I gave you more useful information in this seemingly useless post than all of the replies thus far.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast