Thread: Texas Coil Co.

My horizontal, attic-installed Quaker-Heil furnace has a slab coil for the A/C manufactured by the Texas Coil Co.

When I had my service tech out last month for my spring tune-up, he noted on the service ticket that the condensation pan was rusty.

He did not clean it, however.

I presume this was an "extra" and as it was, I was using a coupon they sent me in the mail for $20 off the visit.

How hard is this to do? I'd like to clean the pan myself, or would the pros here consider this a DIY project?

I haven't worked in a while and I'd like to keep this 18-year-old Whirlpool unit running at least until I can land another job. It runs fine and doesn't cost me an arm and a leg to use in my 1500-sq.ft. house.

I have searched the web and not found the Texas Coil Co. Does anyone know if this firm is still in business?

Thanks.

You are probably better off leaving it alone.
    Cleaning it will involve removing the coil from the pan.
    By the time you take it off and put it back on, chances are pretty high that you will cause a refrigerant leak in the coil.
    That being said, the rust in your pan may be all that's keeping it together.
    Even if the company is still in business, I doubt if they still stock a replacement pan.

i think they are the allstyle coil co in houston

Thanks for the info re Allstyle Coil of Houston. I'll check 'em out.

Meantime, is there a rust inbitor I could squirt into the pan to keep it from rusting through? Would this be a viable solution to extend the life of the pan for a while? Has anyone tried this?

Thanks again.

brawl is correct. Dont mess with it.
    The metal is breaking down and it wont take much to put a hole in it. Then you will be buying a new coil.
    I've seen pans rust for years without leaking. Get back on your feet first, then look to replace the system.

Originally posted by airman1
    i think they are the allstyle coil co in houston

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gulf south
    [B]My horizontal, attic-installed Quaker-Heil furnace has a slab coil for the A/C manufactured by the Texas Coil Co.

When I had my service tech out last month for my spring tune-up, he noted on the service ticket that the condensation pan was rusty.

He did not clean it, however.

I presume this was an "extra" and as it was, I was using a coupon they sent me in the mail for $20 off the visit.

How hard is this to do? I'd like to clean the pan myself, or would the pros here consider this a DIY project?

I haven't worked in a while and I'd like to keep this 18-year-old Whirlpool unit running at least until I can land another job. It runs fine and doesn't cost me an arm and a leg to use in my 1500-sq.ft. house.

Texas Coil Co.
    9332 Southwest Dr.
    Fort Worth,Texas/817-551-7180
    Texas coil was a manufacture of residential coils a few years ago,out of Fort Worth, Texas. They do not make coils for anything but commerical now .

"Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

You could always go down to your local A/C supply house and purchase a can of pan spray. It takes a couple of hours to dry but when it does it is there to stay.

Originally posted by pecmsg
    <snip> I've seen pans rust for years without leaking. Get back on your feet first, then look to replace the system.
    Exactly,and in the meantime don't mess with the rust. The only thing worse than a rusted pan is a rusted pan that leaks which is exactly what will happen if you start messing with it. Make sure you have a good emergency overflow pan under the unit if it is in location that would cause damage in the event it does start to leak.
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain