trane vs. carrier

Unhappy

Help!!! I am trying to find out if my contractor is trying to pull one over on me. We are involved in a remodel from residential to a small (1200 sq ft) veterinary clinic. The original plans call for trane furnaces - TUX060c936D model to be installed. I have discovered that Carrier 58mxa060-f-17112 have actually been installed. If equivalent that's fine - if not I need to know Thanks for your help

Carrier Comfort 92
    Trane XR90

Blah- Equal equipment or not I would not want Carrier on my store.

I'd make him tear out the Carrier and install Trane.

Equal grade but being a Carrier hater, I'd rather have the Choo Choo too! But on a dollar basis, you got an equivalent level product so your contractor didn't pull a fast one to make a buck.

The fact is, he had no right switching the equipment without your consent. I would be very pissed off if I went and bought a Chevy and when I went to pick it up. a ford was sitting there. Legally, you have a good case to not pay at all.

58MXA

The Carrier 58MXA is an equivalent if not better furnace. I have sold thousands of them to contractors & have not had many complaints. I like Trane as a manufacturer & certain Trane products are better than Carrier; however, I give the Carrier 58MXA the nod on this one!

Cool

thank you all for responding

Carrier MXA

Carrier and Trane are both great quality products. I worked for a Carrier dealer for 14 yrs, sold many of the 58MXA series furnaces and had very few problems with them. I have (2) 58MVP040 furnaces in my home, which although a more advance line, I have never any issues for over 8 yrs.

You have a good product, but I do agree with bku46 statement, that the contractor should have not installed a different product without your written approval. Even if the specs state any given product or equivalent, the contractor is supposed to submit the equivalent product for approval. However they're are many loopholes in contracts as they're are written, and laws do vary from STATE to STATE.

Good luck.
    Thank you for reading, and have a nice day

Quote Originally Posted by bku46 View Post
    The fact is, he had no right switching the equipment without your consent. I would be very pissed off if I went and bought a Chevy and when I went to pick it up. a ford was sitting there. Legally, you have a good case to not pay at all.
    Just because Trane was speced in the plans doesn't mean that is what has to be installed. I would be willing to bet that he submitted a bid with Carrier equipment as an equivalent and it was accepted. Check with the GC and find out what was bid to him. Check with the engineer and find out if a request was made of him to find out if a Carrier unit was an acceptable equivalent.