Question timken oil furnace

I recently moved my oil filter in line from one wall to another, allowed air to to get into the line, then bled the line. The oil flows freely at the burner now, disproving air contamination. The burner is not igniting now.

My house was built in the early 50's, and the Timken oil furnace is model # OFD-75. It won't ignite. What can I do to troubleshoot before calling a tech to service?

thanks,
    karen.

If you can find someone who knows how to work on these then he will probably be an old timer.
    When I started this trade 6 years ago there were only 2 units left that our company serviced and these were replaced within that year. I never got to service one.
    but from what I hear you had to be very careful as there aren't any modern safety devices like todays oil units.
    So I would seriously consider replacement this year. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

My dad worked on those.......he is in his 70's now. If you can find an old guy like him you are in luck!

Buy a new furnace before you hire someone who does not know how those things work and something happens.

I've only ever seen one in school some years ago, but I know a guy who's worked on tons of 'em. If it doesn't light after a couple of tries, don't even try to light it again. Probably saturated with oil..Get some help.
    Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2.
    My competition are my best salespeople!

I've worked on a couple.

They are awful when they have problems.

Parts are scarce at best.

Doe the unit have a rotory burner design in it? as these can be a pain to bleed out after repairs have been made.

BJD

timken furnace

I presume that you are burning #1 oil in this unit. Right? Remove and clean the oil slinger (distributer) check the spark gap, make sure there is no debris between electrode and flame wall, check ignition transformer spark and wire. If the electrode is wet then dry it befiore restart. Is this unit actually slinging oil or is it just running?I have worked on plenty of timkena and iron fireman furnaces but one day I just threw away all of the repair parts that I had and said thats enough of those.

Make sure the filter isn't too high. These units don't have an oil pump. Place the filter at the same hight as before.Start the burner and you should see an oil trace around the fire ring and the electrode spark. I used to like these burners when they were set up right.Once you get ignition with the burner door closed look thru the glass and proper air adjustment it will look like plasma. You wont see the point of burn just a blue cloud like burn in the entire firebox. This is how it should look.
    Tracers work both ways.

If I remember right Waltham came out with an up shot type burner that you could place into the lower fire box and fire strait up.

But back to the problem at hand, I think every one has it covered, as far as ignition, and fuel flow.

The burner itself is pretty basic, just be very careful of the fuel intake valve, as it acts some what like a carburator and can screw up.

BJD

My dad has serviced his own Timken Model J Silent Automatic for years. He has a new igniter he wants to install, however he has lost the instructions he found once. Does anyone have these instructions? Please send email to <No email addresses in post, they belong in your profile>
    Last edited by beenthere; 10-25-2009 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Removed email address

There are three different innitor settings depending on the model.
    Tracers work both ways.

Timken Parts

Our company used to install and work on Timken boilers and furnaces. We don't have anymore around and i still have some parts if anyone is interested.

Edited by mod

No e-mail address or advertising in posts.

Last edited by k-fridge; 09-19-2011 at 05:37 PM.