Confused workstation with a BACnet MS/TP controller

Greetings everybody,

I am trying to do a small local control for a rooftop unit (It has a mercury thermostat) using a local PC like a workstation that allow me get a continuous visualization and set a temperature control just like the old mercury thermostat do, all this using a BACnet controller.

I have an andover MS/TP controller (B3887 andover continuum) the questions is...Can I generate a graphical application on the PC to communicate with the controller using the network BACnet ms/tp where I can see setpoint, current temperature etc.

This last because I do not want to purchase a router BACnet IP/ Ethernet just for this tiny application. For other side I have to say that the application I’m trying to do is an academic project.. is there any academic version of the software or trial version of the andover workstation software (in that case, Can I communicate the ms/tp controller with the pc without troubles; I only have seen, I can put the workstation on ethernet level)

Thanks so much for your attention; I hope you can answer me soon.

I would suggest that a PC might not be as reliable as you want for this. If all you want to do is monitor the values in the controller and change a few here and there (and perhaps view/modify schedules) I'd suggest going with a dedicated touchscreen display.

There are many threads here detailing the various BACnet MS/TP displays and many different manufacturers make them at different price points.

If you are happy with DOS and familiar with C programming, you can always download the free BACnet stack from sourceforge. There are demo applications there that will get you started. But there is no GUI in the project at this time.

Thanks a lot BACnet,
    Actually our project director requires visualization with one room sensor (it doesnt matter) and with a graphical interface... for that reason we are searching any trial version of software connected directly to mstp controller (is that possible?)where we can see information (current temperature, setpoint etc), we had been looking in bacnet stack, but that's too complicated for our tiny project. can you suggest me something?

Elmoru

Try Mango M2M since this is strictly academic.
    http://mango.serotoninsoftware.com/features.jsp

However, you'd still need a BACnet/ip tp ms/tp router. I suggest this:
    http://www.ccontrols.com/store/basrouters.shtml

If you can get your hands on the Andover Continuum install disk it will run for around 2 hours in demo mode. It will shutdown and all you have to do is restart it. Install is a PIA though, you will need the install manual.

As digo said you will more then likely need a IP to MSTP router, some software will allow you to use a serial comm port then you will need a serial/usb to RS485 converter (B&B Electronics make one).

Another free software (bdt v2) is in the BACnet Tools thread on the second page. Works well for the basic BACnet objects, but it does not support advanced objects such as trends and schedules. It only works with BACnet/IP.

kontrol out
    "Open is as open does." - Forrest Gump
    "Can't we all just get a Lon?" - Garry Jack
    "BACnet: integration or interrogation?" - The Janitor
    "Open protocols? You can't handle open protocols!" - Nathan R. Jessup
    “What’s that? Aaa… open protocols? Don’t talk about…. open protocols? Are you kidding me? Open protocols? I just hope we can hardwire an interface!” - Jim Mora http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7fjDS0jKiE

Quote Originally Posted by digo View Post
    Try Mango M2M since this is strictly academic.
    http://mango.serotoninsoftware.com/features.jsp

However, you'd still need a BACnet/ip tp ms/tp router. I suggest this:
    http://www.ccontrols.com/store/basrouters.shtml

I think buying a computer and an MS/TP to IP router will likely cost as much or more than a dedicated BACnet MS/TP display. This project is exactly what they were designed for.
    Last edited by BACnet; 03-01-2011 at 05:07 PM.

Just a thought unless the b3887 is programmed for application you will need Continuum to program it as it is not an ASC that could be configured with anyone's BACnet workstation. There are a few BACnet ASC controllers that you could use out of the box to control a RTU.

Just a couple:

ExactLogic
    Alerton T7350 (I like these a lot but have been told that they are no longer making them as they have a programmable touchscreen stat now. There are a couple on ebay now and then, just make sure you get the DX one and not the FCU)
    American Auto Matrix Smart Ones

The first two are thermostat type controllers with LCD displays, the AAM is a regular controller that would require a zone sensor.

kontrol out
    "Open is as open does." - Forrest Gump
    "Can't we all just get a Lon?" - Garry Jack
    "BACnet: integration or interrogation?" - The Janitor
    "Open protocols? You can't handle open protocols!" - Nathan R. Jessup
    “What’s that? Aaa… open protocols? Don’t talk about…. open protocols? Are you kidding me? Open protocols? I just hope we can hardwire an interface!” - Jim Mora http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7fjDS0jKiE

OK.. Guys... seriously thanks a lot... im going to read about it, I'll notify you when I finish to

Try one of those local display/supervisor type devices, I cant remeber were I seen it though. Maybe that S2 innovations or one of the other guys around.
    UA Local 141

Quote Originally Posted by berg2666 View Post
    Try one of those local display/supervisor type devices, I cant remeber were I seen it though. Maybe that S2 innovations or one of the other guys around.
    Good day Berg,

Sadly, we (s2innovations) do not support MS/TP yet... late Spring/early Summer or so. If the original poster's needs are immediate then products from Loytec, AAM, etc would have to be reviewed.

Cheers,

Sam