Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    No, I didn't ask why - but I will. I thought perhaps it was because of the size of the condo or maybe the size of the unit itself. The area the furnace has to fit in isn't real big however I understand that the current units are much smaller than my 26 year old GE. I'm going to ask why. Thanks.

Can you even find union shops that do residential out there? Out here union shops have been relegated to the commercial sector. But union or not I personally think it's irrelevant. There are hack union shops, there are very professional non-union shops and vice versa. I'd pick the best contractor irrespective of its union status.

How far from the furnace is the return inlet? There are many components to a quiet system as have been mentioned. One of them is not having a super short return duct. Another is special ordering high quality diffusers. Take a look here.

Thanks for the information. I'm not sure what the return inlet is. If it is the large vent near the ceiling in the hallway, then then furnace is right on the other side of the wall. There is another smaller vent opposite the furnace in the utility room.
    Regarding the union question, I was curious since the contractor I'm considering has been recommended by a friend who used them but they are more expensive than a couple of other quotes I've had. They do both commercial and residential work.

Yes. The return is where the suction is. Some furnaces are literally a foot or two from the ceiling vent you describe. In those cases the blower noise if VERY loud. It can be quieted by looping a return duct or by other means. But in your case it doesn't sound like it's that close.

It's as close as the thickness of the wall. The furnace is against the wall that the vent is on. The vent is up high near the ceiling. Then there is the old Aprilaire humidifier and then the top of the furnace. When the new furnace is in, as they told me it wouldn't be as tall, the distance will probably be about 3-4 feet to the top of the cabinet. There will be another humidifier installed also.

So then I imagine you get a significant amount of noise through that vent in particular? If so then you might consider doing something with that duct if the airflow situation and space will allow.

Yes, the current system is rather noisy. One of the reasons I don't leave the fan going all the time. The contractor mentioned doing some things that would help to quiet it down. Since the initial post, I went back to him with some questions and he said that the new system would be substantially quieter than what I have now.
    Thanks!

Millerman
    Is it possible to vent a 90% furnace through a chimney flue that has another 80% furnace and a water heater venting thru the same flue? How do you recommend terminating the pipes?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12