Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 49
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    253
    Hi Folks,

    I am still wondering about the supply temps and RH with my new Bryant Evolution system. With a room temperature of 75F the supply temps are about 59F - is this enough spread? In another recent post, a spread of over 20F was reported. Also, the RH reported by the Evolution control wont go below 57% reardless of the runtime. Any thoughts?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,680
    Are you comfortable or not?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    253
    Originally posted by docholiday
    Are you comfortable or not?
    I would like it too be dryer in the house. Besides that, I am concerned ab out whether it is operating efficiently. Thanks.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Huntsville,AL
    Posts
    4,125
    is your KWH usage per DegreeDay per square foot of conditioned living space less than with the old system?

    is the RH% less than 60% when measured with a $10 reptile store gauge?

    does the system cycle on days <85F? run full on days>95F?

    if so, it is probably sized right.

    [why bother reposting info from the prior post?]

  5. #5
    From what I understand, just give the Evolution a little time to figure it out. It has a mind of it's own and is "plug and play and walk away". Just kidding.
    16 degree temp split seems a little on the low side and 57% humidity seems high.
    Is there anything you can decide to change, like humidity settings??...or does Evolution do that for you too?
    Does it cook Chicken soup for you when you have a cold?

    Seriously though...just keep tuning in to this thread.
    You'll have a multitude of experts who will help you.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,680
    The 57 percent humidity suggests to me that your temperature drop across the coil is going to be lower and justifies the 16 degree drop. The air in your home has 74.13 grains of moisture per pound of dry air. What we dont know is how much infiltration air you have. Is the return duct sealed? Are there any exhaust fans? Do you simply close the storm door and leave the big door open for light? Whats the temperature and humdidity outside? Is it configured to lower the airflow by say 15% when it is in need of dehumidification?

    Remember, when running in a comfort mode such as dehumidification, the efficiency suffers.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    253
    Originally posted by docholiday
    The 57 percent humidity suggests to me that your temperature drop across the coil is going to be lower and justifies the 16 degree drop. The air in your home has 74.13 grains of moisture per pound of dry air. What we dont know is how much infiltration air you have. Is the return duct sealed? Are there any exhaust fans? Do you simply close the storm door and leave the big door open for light? Whats the temperature and humdidity outside? Is it configured to lower the airflow by say 15% when it is in need of dehumidification?

    Remember, when running in a comfort mode such as dehumidification, the efficiency suffers.
    This is a new house - pretty tight construction - infiltration should be low ( ICF with spray foam in attic ). The exhaust fans are off and the front door is closed. The temperature outside is 91 with a 63 dewpoint. The Evolution system controls the ECM motor and does reduce the airflow for better dehumidification.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    253
    Originally posted by chillbilly
    From what I understand, just give the Evolution a little time to figure it out. It has a mind of it's own and is "plug and play and walk away". Just kidding.
    16 degree temp split seems a little on the low side and 57% humidity seems high.
    Is there anything you can decide to change, like humidity settings??...or does Evolution do that for you too?
    Does it cook Chicken soup for you when you have a cold?

    Seriously though...just keep tuning in to this thread.
    You'll have a multitude of experts who will help you.
    You can set the humidity - I tried 54% but it never gets there even running with a slower fan speed for better humidity control.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    253
    Originally posted by cem-bsee
    is your KWH usage per DegreeDay per square foot of conditioned living space less than with the old system?

    is the RH% less than 60% when measured with a $10 reptile store gauge?

    does the system cycle on days <85F? run full on days>95F?

    if so, it is probably sized right.

    [why bother reposting info from the prior post?]
    This is new construction so I dont have anything to compare to. It will run continuously at 1/2 compressor speed most of the day ( a good thing I believe ) and occasionally kick into high speed. The only RH measurment I have is from the Evolution control - I will get another RH instrument and check.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Posts
    18,836
    Did they check the temperatures in an out of the air handler ,and compare to room /delivered temps ,in the hot part of the day,yet??

  11. #11
    This one ought to be interesting and a bit humorous too.

    This is a prime example of how a manufacturer will use advertising to create a misconception of ease in system set-up.

    There are too many variables involved in design, construction, fabrication and start-up for the smartest of systems to be able to "plug and play and walk away".

    Just another ranting based on service and installation experiences.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Posts
    18,836
    Plug and play,may not be easy enough for some contractors.

    So far in our company and on this board ,the vast majority of problems with Evolution and Infinity ,are contractor related,not the equipment.

    They can't ,as of now,idiot proof the install and design,but maybe in the future.

    It will indeed be interesting to see how this turns out!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    253
    Originally posted by dash
    Plug and play,may not be easy enough for some contractors.

    So far in our company and on this board ,the vast majority of problems with Evolution and Infinity ,are contractor related,not the equipment.

    They can't ,as of now,idiot proof the install and design,but maybe in the future.

    It will indeed be interesting to see how this turns out!
    Hi Dash,

    My HVAC guy will be back today and I will ask him to measure the temperature drop across the coil at the air handler.

    Getting back to an earlier observation, have you ever seen a Carrier/Bryant 2-speed compressor come from the factory with too much R-410a to the tune of about 30 ounces? Thats what my guy is telling me. The additional R-410a that he should have had to add would be about 30 ounces ( 71 ft lineset and 0.6 ounces for every foot over 15 feet ). He claims the measurements are OK.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event