Thread: Noisy Water Surce Heat Pump

Post Likes

Noisy Water Surce Heat Pump

Hi, there. I just had 18k btu water source heat pump installed into my small condo. It's tight and they install this into a space boxed in by drywall. We had to remove the drywall, install the unit, and then rebuild a small box around the unit.

I had the HVAC unit in for a few days and it sat in the open in my bedroom before it got "boxed up" again a few days alter. I did not seem to have any noise issue before it was enclosed again. Once enclosed again though, now when the ompressor kicks in, it is really too loud, like a dull roar.

I'll add that the old unit had drainage that came out the bottom, so it sat elevated a couple of inches off the ground. Wihtt he new unit, they squeezed it in by putting it flat on the ground and got the drainage hose to come off the side. I am not sure if it should have been elevated to eliminate noise --possibly echo or vibrations?

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Post Likes
    what's the brand of equipment installed?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by james11111 View Post
    Hi, there. I just had 18k btu water source heat pump installed into my small condo. It's tight and they install this into a space boxed in by drywall. We had to remove the drywall, install the unit, and then rebuild a small box around the unit.

I had the HVAC unit in for a few days and it sat in the open in my bedroom before it got "boxed up" again a few days alter. I did not seem to have any noise issue before it was enclosed again. Once enclosed again though, now when the ompressor kicks in, it is really too loud, like a dull roar.

I'll add that the old unit had drainage that came out the bottom, so it sat elevated a couple of inches off the ground. Wihtt he new unit, they squeezed it in by putting it flat on the ground and got the drainage hose to come off the side. I am not sure if it should have been elevated to eliminate noise --possibly echo or vibrations?

Any thoughts? Thanks.
    Before the HP was out in the open but now its inside a drum! A lot of echo inside that space.

Maybe try insulating the walls around the unit?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by matteo268 View Post
    what's the brand of equipment installed?
    What difference does that make? Just curious.

Post Likes
    some brands come with a compressor shipping bolt inside the unit that has to be removed after install

Post Likes
    It's a Climate Master. Are you asking about a shipping bolt that might be rattling? I am sure that's not it. It is more of a rumbling sound.

The guys that did the drywall said that you're not supposed to put insulation around the HVAC--?

Post Likes
    ...and it's odd that the previous heater didn't seem to be as loud and it was in a "box" as well.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in