newbie from Eugene, OR

newbie from Eugene, OR

Hi all,

I just bought a new duplex, it's a small ranch style (936 sq ft each side) and plan on upgrading the furnaces soon and also install air conditioning. Unfortunately gas isn't an option in this area and I am stuck with electric. The current furnaces I have are Fedders CKE018A7A's (can't find any info on them anywhere) on each side. This duplex is not a rental, I live in one side and a family friend is on the other side. I'm capable of doing the install myself but I registered here because there is tons of information to help me learn about how the systems work and what I need. I may understand electrical and installation but what parts I need and how they work is way above my head. Mainly I want to just install AC but with looking at how old these furnaces look I am pretty sure it is worth the upgrade since I am sure they're pretty inefficient, they're loud, and I'd guess not as reliable since they have many years of use on them. My workspace is pretty limited too so it'd be easier to just replace the current furnace with stuff that is all inclusive and capable of accomplishing what I need with the space I have(a closet).

When it comes to wiring, I understand it and know how to make it "work" but I'm lucky enough to have a brother in law who's an electrician and is actually a state inspector so I can be guided in the right direction to make sure everything is done right. I think my thermostats are decent though, they are Honeywell TH8320U1008's so I assume they'll be fine.

Anyway thanks for reading my intro, when it comes time to buy/install I'm sure you'll see a post with me stringing you along for the ride when it's time to choose products all the way to the end to ensure I don't screw it up

This is something I want to do myself, I know I'm not a qualified installer and I won't have my equipment warrantied etc but it is something I want to learn. My electrical work was mostly done on aircraft minus a few years I was head maintenance at a large apartment complex (100+ units) and the work there was simple, just changing a few sockets/switches here and there, new fixtures etc. I do dabble in electrical pretty often as a hobby too with building switches and whatnot any chance I can. I'm no "pro" but I enjoy it and I take pride in doing things myself. I am sure there are some of you that will disagree with doing my own work and I have looked at the possible downsides and I'm willing to take that risk, hopefully I don't get a lemon . With as small as my duplex is I will need very small units (less expensive) so warranty isn't as important since I don't really have that much to lose even if it goes bad and needs worked on or replaced.

-Cor
    Last edited by CorNut; 02-28-2011 at 12:55 PM.

Welcome to the site. Of course the rules state we cannot help you work on or install your own equipment, however we can give recommendations on equipment, etc. If you do the install yourself and have questions on what to do....don't look here, because we cannot give DIY help.

There is alot more than electrical knowledge needed to install heating and air.

Good luck....and again, welcome.

The statement below is my signature and just my overall feeling towards our industry and does not necessarily pertain to you nor this thread.

There really isn't a legitimate excuse for not doing the job correctly!

Quote Originally Posted by Tech23 View Post
    If you do the install yourself and have questions on what to do....don't look here, because we cannot give DIY help.
    The info needed is already available for how to install so I won't be asking that, I can figure out what plugs in where just fine. Mainly I'll just want help with selection, install shouldn't be too hard, I already have ducting, a good enough thermostat, and wiring for the furnace. The only thing I'll have to run myself is for the condenser (if I understand it right that is) and the breaker box is in the garage next to the back door right by where the condenser will be going and there is plenty of crawl space so running the lines to the furnace area will be real easy as well. With the little knowledge I have it seems like an easy install for my particular setup and it just doesn't seem it is worth paying for the install since it looks like a weekend job I can do myself (will obviously take longer due to waiting to have my work checked etc), plus I enjoy things like this. If this was for a higher end home that required expensive equipment the $3000 (just a random number I pulled out of my head) install fee would be worth the peace of mind but I will most likely be paying close to the same fee for equipment that is worth far less than the install itself.

I wont be asking dumb questions, don't worry. I just registered mainly because of the info I have found here that has already helped me understand a lot. I figured it has been a good resource thus far so why not? All of the info I'd need can be found just by the search feature anyway.

Sounds like you have all you need, good luck and I wish you the best.

The statement below is my signature and just my overall feeling towards our industry and does not necessarily pertain to you nor this thread.

There really isn't a legitimate excuse for not doing the job correctly!