Thread: ductwork in the attic, unicon

Post Likes
    I am looking for thoughts on installing ductwork in the attic for a geo-therm heat pump. The house is in New Brunswick where the climate is similar to Maine.

Also has anyone ever used unicon stuff. It looks like a high velocity system which enables the duct to be smaller and snaked through wall partitions.(staying out of the attic). I have never seen the stuff installed and know nothing about it. I am more of a commercial guy and any input would be appreciated. I am trying to help a friend who is building a new house with no basement.

Post Likes
    You mean Unico.

You still have to run the plenum, before you run the supplies.
    So your still in the attic.

The supply duct is expensive. So the shorter you can make them the better.

Also, there are length restrictions on the runs, if a run is too long, you need to run 2 to make 1.

Post Likes
    just finished one last week in a attic with 75'supply trunk and a 18" central return a 2 story house so on the first fllor we have to snake the jets down the inside of the clost wall the size of the jet are 3and 5/8 round hole- they work great and have to have a ambient temp over 65 to charge-they are a pain sometimes to install but they are great systems

Post Likes
    Thanks for the info. Sounds like without a basement the attic can't be avoided.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in