Home Value increase with Central A/C and Heat
    I am new here and am hoping someone can help me. I am buying a 40 year old home that has no Central HVAC. Currently it has Radient Heat and a House Fan. I would like to put in Cnetral HVAC. I own a high efficiency gas furnace that I plan on putting in the basement. I would need to buy the A/C unit though.

My first question is - How much does an appraisal typically increase when Central HVAC is put in as home? I am trying to justify the expense of putting one in the home.

Second Question - Is it more cost effective to run duct work up to the attic from the basement or to put in a small furnace in the attic to heat and cool the second floor? It may be six of one, half dozen of the other. However, I was also thinking that the two furnace option might be a very efficient way to put this together. Running duct work fromthe basement to the first floor and from the attic to the second floor would be much cheaper than trying to run duct work up through closets etc. Also, I don't know if it has a chase. I understand that this would affect cost a great deal.

Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated.

2 systems probably would not be cheaper, would definately be better though.

What part of the country are you in?Will have a contractor take a look and see about which would be the best.Also how old is the radiant heat and is it pex or copper pipe.

I live in South Central PA. The Radiant is from 1966 and is some kind of wires in the ceiling - very inefficient I would think. I will have a contractor look at it, but was hoping to get an insight or two from your experiences.

Two systems would be the best in the cold pa winters,but if duct can be run and the cost is alot cheaper than two systems then you know what to do.

Where did you get this "high efficiency furnace" you own? Is it used? New? Purchased over the internet? Found in a dumpster? And the next question would be is it the right furnace for the job?

Dont think that by adding air you are adding alot of value, but it's safe to say you do open up the number of potential buyers if it is already installed.

Originally posted by cassidygt
    I live in South Central PA. The Radiant is from 1966 and is some kind of wires in the ceiling - very inefficient I would think. I will have a contractor look at it, but was hoping to get an insight or two from your experiences.
    Electric radiant in the ceiling, very comfortable heat, but very expensive to operate.

Where abouts in pa?

I'm in lancaster.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I'm in York. I am getting the furnace from my neighbor. He bought his house three years ago new (as did I) and converted to an oil furnace a year ago. The original furnace is a gas furnace converted to LP - the same unit as my home. I believe it is high efficiency as it is vented with PVC pipe out of the side of the house. It was used to heat a 2000 sq. ft home. I am thinking that it would be suitable for my purposes and I can get it for around $500 as he wants to get rid of it. I thought that it would be great to heat the lower floor and basement of my new home - also around 2000 sq. ft.

[Edited by CassidyGT on 05-23-2005 at 08:14 PM]

It may or may not be the right size for your house.

Click the bulls eye and do a load calc for your house to find out.

Just remmember, your buying it as is, no warranty on the heat exchanger anymore.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?