Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Providence Fires All Teachers

In a move to give government more flexibility in its spending decisions, Providence, RI has fired all 1926 of its teachers. It will rehire most of them.

Rhode Island law requires teachers to be notified of possible layoffs or terminations by March 1, which is why the school board did not wait for next year’s budget picture to become clearer.

The city will have to close some of its 40 schools by September, Mr. Taveras said, and only those teachers would lose their jobs.

“Given that we don’t know the schools yet that we’re going to target,” he said in an interview, “the most appropriate thing is to require notices to all the teachers.”
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/26/us...ence.html?_r=1

http://www.allgov.com/Top_Stories/Vi...hers_110227pro

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-02-25/u...ation?_s=PM:US

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DomipQ2T78
    Last edited by Space Racer; 02-27-2011 at 08:07 PM.
    Vacuum Technology:
    CRUD = Contamination Resulting in Undesirable Deposits.
    CRAPP = Contamination Resulting in Additional Partial Pressure.

Change your vacuum pump oil now.

Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

This is TOTAL BULL....

Every time schools look like that they MAY take a hit on finances ( proration, etc )they scream that teachers will have to be laid-off.

Around here, we've heard this every year for the past several years...& yet NO teachers have been laid off or at least it hasn't been reported on...

This is just another way for the politicians ( school boards ) to PUSH for more SUPPORT ( which equals MONEY, of course ) from their constiuents....

One time this came up, they tried to pass a bill to raise property taxes for schools....the tax failed, by public vote.

Our county is trying right now to do the same...want to raise property taxes by 15 mils.....all for schools, of course... ( but we all know better ).

Its just a SCAM...maybe even a PONZI SCAM....

Tell them that when they ACTUALLY start teaching the students,then we might consider doing more, but until then....shutup & do your job....

Richard
    Lets get H.I.G.H. http://www.theletsgethigh.com
    Honesty, Integrity, Gallantry, Honor

G T T

“In the end we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends”

Martin Luther King, Jr.

That man is a true leader and a Democrat, too.
    Good for him.
    Gonads.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
    Mark Twain
    More at: http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/education/

States tangle with teacher tenure

As momentum for school reform grows and state budgets continue to shrink, the system of teacher tenure is under increasing scrutiny

By Rehema Ellis, NBC News
    updated 1 hour 6 minutes ago 2011-03-08T00:40:01

When Angel Taveras, the mayor of Providence, Rhode Island, recently fired every one of the city's nearly 2000 teachers, it caused a predictable uproar. Although Taveras insisted he will re-hire as many teachers as he can afford, hundreds protested the terminations.

“We have to balance the budget, we have to educate our kids,” Taveras said. “We're going to do both.”

As cash-strapped states struggle to balance their budgets, the issue of teacher tenure—a controversial teachers' union protection frequently perceived as a job guarantee — is under scrutiny amid a growing clamor to curtail it.

New Jersey Governor Chris Christie has been especially outspoken on the issue, leading a handful of states that are seeking to eliminate teacher tenure completely.

“Teaching can no longer be the only profession where you have no rewards for excellence, and no consequences for failure,” Gov. Christie told crowds earlier this year. “Let New Jersey lead the way. The time to eliminate teacher tenure is now.”

Although new public school teachers get tenure after three to five years on the job, National Education Association President Dennis Von Roekel challenges the notion that tenure somehow makes teachers impossible to fire.

“What it means in the K-12 system is that you are entitled to a hearing and that's it,” he says.

In 1997, Oregon was among the first to adopt renewable contracts based on teacher evaluations, but maintained the fair dismissal process. Contract teachers are up for renewal every two years. Since then, at least nine states have replaced tenure — and along with it, the perception of a permanent position.

Trisha Parks, a seventh-grade teacher at Cedar Park Middle School outside Portland with nearly 20 years experience, says the renewable contract system has worked for her.

“It keeps me accountable for my own learning,” Parks says. “It keeps me accountable for staying in top shape on the job. Doing the job, delivering the job. And then it keeps the principals accountable for measuring me.”

But at New York City’s P.S. 65, where teachers still get tenure, principal Daysi Garcia says the current job review process just takes too long.

“It took 40 days of testimony, 5,000 pages of testimony, and cost the city $300,000 to $400,000 in legal fees,” Garcia says. “That's excessive.”

Randi Weingarten, president of the nation's second largest teachers' union, says too little oversight and not enough attention to teacher development — not tenure itself — are to blame for underperforming teachers. She has proposed a new model that would give those teachers three months to defend their job.

“Frankly, the process of evaluation should start from day one,” Weingarten says. “Ultimately we all need a development and evaluation system.”

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41956922/ns/nightly_news/
    Last edited by Space Racer; 03-07-2011 at 09:18 PM.
    Vacuum Technology:

Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

"Tenure is job protection, not job for life"
    Video:
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540...56914#41958210

"Tenure was supposed to be a 'due process proceeding'"
    Video:
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540...56914#41956914

Each video is less than 1-1/2 minutes long.
    Vacuum Technology:

Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

Who needs unions?

The best emplyees don't need unions. The best job security is a work ethic and competence except when the workplace practices favoritism. Unfortunately kissing up is preferred by too many people.

Skackers and poor performers benefit from collective bargaining because they don't bring much value to their job.

Then there is the average employee. I don't know about you, but average is not what I want when I need a plumber, electician, contractor, doctor, lawyer or merchant chief. For my money, average anything sucks.
    Mark Twain

Looks like Weingarten (the teachers' union president) and MSNBC are beginning to see the handwriting on the wall (or pretending to).
    But I wonder what kinds of procedures Weingarten would like to install for the sake of increased "oversight and ... attention to teacher development" and "evaluation;" and who she would empower with such a responsibility.

Probably the Dept of Ed, which was created to satisfy the teachers's unions in the first place, and which does little more than suck in hundreds of millions of dollars and piss it away.

Or she might be thinking more along the lines of Elena Silva (first video in post #6), who would hand it back to the unions and administrators.

Essentially, they are talking about swapping one kind of job protection and bureaucracy for another, all in the name of $10,000/year/student public education.
    Last edited by Space Racer; 03-08-2011 at 01:00 PM.
    Vacuum Technology:

Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

• Reduce compulsory public education to 8 years. (Switzerland does just fine on 9 years of forced education.) That frees those who feel imprisoned and reduces the need for teachers about 10 to 15% making it better for the students who choose to continue and the teachers. Win,Win.
    • Require mandatory drug testing of all students continuing their education past the 8th grade who receive public moneys or grants or attend schools that receive public funding greater than $1.00 per year.
    • Break the government hold over tax money for schooling. This gives parents a choice and can be done by Voucher, charter schools or some other way. Sweden is finding this to be a good thing. Some of their schools are for profit. (The shame of it all.)
    Mark Twain

Teachers unions are the most powerful of all the public employee unions. Therefore, they are the number one target, in the eyes of union busters. Teachers need to accept reality. This is the new normal.
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by lynn comstock View Post
    The best emplyees don't need unions. The best job security is a work ethic and competence except when the workplace practices favoritism. Unfortunately kissing up is preferred by too many people.

Skackers and poor performers benefit from collective bargaining because they don't bring much value to their job.

Then there is the average employee. I don't know about you, but average is not what I want when I need a plumber, electrician, contractor, doctor, lawyer or merchant chief. For my money, average anything sucks.
    That is if you have a honorable, competent boss as you said above. Now if you have one that plays loose with the rules a union can be useful.

In Mayor Sam Katz's world, there are good unions and bad unions.

The Winnipeg Police Association and the United Firefighters of Winnipeg are good unions. They provide essential services. They also, not surprisingly, both worked to re-elect Katz.

The Canadian Union of Public Employees, however, is a bad union. It is linked to the NDP. It supported the woman who ran against Katz.

How can you tell the difference? Good unions get wage and benefit increases, and enjoy the lion's share of spending increases in the operating budget. Bad unions get to make sacrifices. In this year's city operating budget, tabled Monday at city hall, we saw spending on police, fire and paramedic services go up precipitously; police spending alone was up 6.4 per cent. The city has not discussed its offers to police and firefighters, but the budget assumed at least a two-per-cent wage increase for both. At the same time, the budget assumes the 5,000 members of CUPE 500 accept a wage freeze for two years.
    http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...117569783.html

Just curious, do you have some professions where they have a union but are still held in high regards? Here some get favored and some do not.

Quote Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
    http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...117569783.html

Just curious, do you have some professions where they have a union but are still held in high regards? Here some get favored and some do not.
    Here in the States, that is why, then US President Jimmy Carter, signed into law that unions, representing federal workers, could not collectively bargain for better wages and benefits back in 1978. Basically, he believed, unions could buy certain politicians and hold taxpayers over the barrel to give into union demands for its members, only benefiting federal workers and the unions themselves, not the taxpayers. Gotta admit he had it right on that one issue. I think President Obama agrees as well. If he didn't, he would push his party to repeal the law and he would readily sign on to a more pro labor alternative, right?
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast