air supply inlet

What is the difference between nonmechanical and mechanical air supply?

I am investigating purchasing a tankless water heater. When deciding location, horizontal vent location appears to be a big issue.

The distance between the HVAC air supply inlet and the water heaters concentric, combustion air inlet differs between mechanical and nonmechanical systems.

My HVAC unit is in the basement. I have a duct (?fresh air?) going from outside to the return plenum before the filter. Would this be considered a nonmechanical air supply inlet?

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Glevin View Post
    What is the difference between nonmechanical and mechanical air supply?

I am investigating purchasing a tankless water heater. When deciding location, horizontal vent location appears to be a big issue.

The distance between the HVAC air supply inlet and the water heaters concentric, combustion air inlet differs between mechanical and nonmechanical systems.

My HVAC unit is in the basement. I have a duct (?fresh air?) going from outside to the return plenum before the filter. Would this be considered a nonmechanical air supply inlet?

Thank you.
    Non-mechanical. That (fresh air) can be omitted, if you think your house is loose enough.

We (at one time) had to install fresh air intakes (new construction) here to be in code.

But now we don't when they figured out the homes were already loose as a goose.

It'll depend on how tight your house is.

1- you gotta read first

New Member Introduction and Site Rules Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself Register Here DO NOT POST SITE QUESTIONS HERE!!

it's the banner
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Thanks for the help

Welcome to the site.

The statement below is my signature and just my overall feeling towards our industry and does not necessarily pertain to you nor this thread.

There really isn't a legitimate excuse for not doing the job correctly!