Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Building our own home

Post Likes
    Beenthere, am I able to ask if the 17.6 SEER system is XXXX amount of dollars more than the 15 SEER system does it make sense to go with it?

Like I said I know prices aren't allowed, but I'm not telling anyone the price of the 15 SEER system only that the 17.6 SEER system is being quoted as this much more.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jgriggs View Post
    Beenthere, am I able to ask if the 17.6 SEER system is XXXX amount of dollars more than the 15 SEER system does it make sense to go with it?

Like I said I know prices aren't allowed, but I'm not telling anyone the price of the 15 SEER system only that the 17.6 SEER system is being quoted as this much more.
    No, cost comparisons are pricing questions. And most of us already know what our price difference is between a up to 18 SEER and a 15 SEER system.

What an upgrade is worth is still determined by the contractor doing the work, and the area its being done in. Along with what your comfort is worth to you, and the budget you impose on yourself.

Post Likes
    Wow, sounds like an awesome house! 4 tons of heat sounds EXCESSIVE unless it gets colder there than upstate NY. I audited a 2500 sf sprayed home last week, 1100 cfm50. Recommended heat: fart. Size: candle

Did you orient and design overhangs and windows w regard to sun? If so, might want to contact a HERS Rater about sizing, and getting that place Energy Star rated. Get below 80 and ya got some bragging rights.

Generally jumping eff levels increases some things other than energy use. Servicability and durability tend to be better when you get better equipment.

Post Likes
    tedkidd, we have 24" overhangs on the whole house. We also have a front porch that covers 2 of the front windows and a back porch that covers two of the back ones.

The other two in the front that aren't covered are only exposed to the sun for a very short period of the day as the sun sets.

The three windows in the back that aren't covered will only be exposed in the morning for a couple of hours and if needed we will put some shade trees back there.

Two different places that did actual Manual J's on the house came up with different size units. One said 3 tons and one said 3.5 tons.

Post Likes

Load calcs!

As far as the contractors you are speaking with: What kind of load calculations are they running? Are they based off of the Manual J 8th edition? Are they something that is reliable like Elite software or Wrightsoft? Has he actually showed you the results of the load calculations and showed you why the sensible gain on the house is justified by the sensible output of the unit at Lufkin's design conditions (95-77@ at least 50% relative humidity?)? I don't see a lot of guys actually doing that in my area, and it's something that should be standard as far as I'm concerned.

As far as that goes, I have heard very little against Lennox, except that you have to have a guy that's used to Lennox working on them.

Lennox does make a 3 ton 2-speed in both systems you are looking at:

XP21-036-230
    XP16-036-230

Don't assume that you need a larger unit as opposed to a smaller, see Teddy's comments about humidity control in the home and run-time, and Manual J states:
    "However, slightly undersized cooling equipment-by a margin of 10% or less-may actually provide more comfort at a lower cost..."

Unfortunately, on 2-speeds, you go up by full tons, so that will be a judgment if it comes out close.

In Texas, you are not really supposed to size to the heating side of the unit, although I bet you'd be close anyway. Just some food for thought. I'd hate to see you have moisture problems in your brand new house, although admittedly a 4-ton 2-speed may be fine, but if you can get away with smaller, it may cost you less consistently as it runs, and may provide better moisture control and comfort as you go along...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by efficiency guy View Post
    As for thought. I'd hate to see you have moisture problems in your brand new house, although admittedly a 4-ton 2-speed may be fine, but if you can get away with smaller, it may cost you less consistently as it runs, and may provide better moisture control and comfort as you go along...
    A well built home like this with a very limited cooling load will not get much humidity control from the a/c. Save the two speed up charge and get the whole house dehu instead addon instead. You will have much better %RH control with or without any cooling load.
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Post Likes
    When I see lennox units I go, "winning"

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    No, cost comparisons are pricing questions. And most of us already know what our price difference is between a up to 18 SEER and a 15 SEER system.

What an upgrade is worth is still determined by the contractor doing the work, and the area its being done in. Along with what your comfort is worth to you, and the budget you impose on yourself.
    Thanks beenthere. That's why I wanted to ask before I posted the price difference.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroTolerance View Post
    When I see lennox units I go, "winning"
    Lol.
    "that's hysterical" says Lizzy, my better half.

Post Likes
    lol that guys a MESS!

Post Likes
    Or a marketing genius.

Post Likes
    So let's say we have 3 different contractors who offer Lennox, Trane, and Frigidaire that are all reputable and do the same quality work on their installations....you would prefer the Lennox?

Post Likes
    The one with the longer company offered warranty.

Post Likes
    Ya, honestly tedkidd, that's what I think. Its all an act for publicity

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in