Thread: green slime

I ran across a heat pump that had green slime in the sealed system does anyone know what it is caused from?

have not seen it, have heard about it. believe due to moisture. from what i heard you're in deep doo doo.
    depending on age of system i have heard of manufacturer springing for total rip out and replace.

Moisture or mixing refrigerants.

Anywho, the whole system will need replaced. You'll never clean it out.
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Arrow Internal Failure

Take a close look at the coil does it look juandice, a slight yellowing in mild conditions like this.

I believe these are symptoms of liver failure...

Replace system and follow up with drier cleanups...

Transplants are not a option.

Usually is not cureable condition

[Edited by AllTemp on 05-21-2005 at 06:24 PM]
    AllTemp Heating & Cooling

Somethin' to do with the oil in early scroll systems & moisture. Can be cleaned up but not easy. We had one we blew out, evacuated and put a big liquid drier on. I think that's been pushing 10 years ago.

Unless the heat pump has a first run Copeland scroll compressor in it, meaning the system was installed in the early 80s, it is doubtful you are seeing green slime. May be some green oil from copper deterioration.

Need more info on the equipment.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Originally posted by RoBoTeq
    Unless the heat pump has a first run Copeland scroll compressor in it, meaning the system was installed in the early 80s, it is doubtful you are seeing green slime. May be some green oil from copper deterioration.

Need more info on the equipment.
    I would agree with this, since they started incorporating the floating seal to prevent micron level vacuums the green slime problem has pretty much went away.

The floating seal drops out when the compressors draws to a compression ratio greater than 11:1, this prevents the compressor from pumping into a low vacuum.
    Live each day like it is your last, for one day you will be right!

Copeland also changed the brass components whose deterioration caused the green coloration of the white mineral oil, to stainless steel. Several things need to happen to produce green slime, which is a nasty, foam like cration of acidic white mineral oil created by low compressor pressures along with the presence of moisture.

I see a lot of green oil conditions being misdiagnosed as green slime. Green oil is usually the byproduct of an installation that allowed moisture to remain in the lineset and/or indoor coil due to improper evacuation. Green oil is also usually associated with evap coils that develope pin hole leaks.

What happens is that moisture gets trapped in the braze joints of the evap coil during installation. This moisture eventually eats away at the copper at the braze joint, causing deterioration of the coil and the green coloration of the oil.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

I'm new to this forum so bear with me. Green slime, what do you do with guages/recovery equipment/etc once in contact with green slime?